Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eskull@0
Contributor
Contributor

IP is locked after adding previous built custom IP

Jump to solution

I added a custom IP to my Vivado 2019.2 mixed (VHDL/Verilog) design, that was created on Vivado 2019.1. The custom IP shows as locked in the Sources list, as shown in the attached ScreenCapt-Locked_IP.png.

From another forum page, I tried running the recommended  'report_ip_status', followed by  'upgrade_ip [get_ips *]' with the following results, with no change in IP status:

Project IP Instances
+---------------------------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+----------------------------------+-----------+-----------------+-------------------
| Instance Name                | Status                                                                                                 |   Recommendation            | IP Ver | New Version |  Original Part 
+------------------------ --+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+----------------------------+--------+-------------+---------------
| EthFrameAssembler_cmd | IP definition not found. IP part change. IP contains locked subcore | Add IP definition to catalog |  1.0   | 1.0 (Rev. 1) | xcku060-ffva1156-2-e

upgrade_ip [get_ips *]
WARNING: [Coretcl 2-1044] No upgrade is available for 'EthFrameAssembler_cmd'
WARNING: [Coretcl 2-1042] No IP was identified for upgrade

As shown, original part for the custom IP (from Vivado 2019.1) was the ku060-1156. The project into which the IP was added (Vivado 2019.2) targets a ku060-FFVA1517. So appears I have at least 2 issues, the change in fpga part, and the change in Vivado version. 

I also tried adding the paths to this IP in the Settings-IP-Repository window but that didn't resolve. 

Right-click on the IP and selecting Re-customize, opens the IP customize window, but a message is displayed, "Customization changes are not allowed". And under "More Info", it states "IP definition Eth... for IP Eth... customized with 2019.1 was not found in the IP Catalog".

I went back to the original Vivado 2019.1 project where the IP was created and then changed the part selection to the FFVA-1517. Then ran Update IP. This appears to have completed without issue, all the IP in the project shows up to date, targeting the new part. 

Then tried to create a new IP from this project, via  Tools-Create/Pkg New IP, and selected a new folder to save the result into. This resulted in the errors in the ScreenCapt-Create_IP_Error.png. 

The top level file for this IP, EthFrameAssembler.vhd and the file type is set to VHDL.  It seems there is an issue with a System Verilog module somewhere... I didn't create this frame assembler project so I have no knowledge at this point of what is inside. A quick search for the  axi_vip_axi4pc module in the project comes up empty. 

So, is there another path to get the IP in the Vivado 2019.2 project updated without digging back down inside the custom IP and regenerating as I just tried above?

Thank you.

Tags (1)
ScreenCapt-Locked_IP.png
ScreenCapt-Create_IP_Error.png
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
amaccre

Hi eskull@0 ,

From reading your description there appear to be a few issues here. Each version of Vivado is supplied with a unique collection of IP. What I mean by this is that an IP that is version 1.0 is 2019.1 may be version 1.1 in 2019.2 and the 2019.2 version of the tools will not have the 1.0 version of the IP available.

It would appear that your custom IP is using an IP that is not available in the later version of the tools. This is why you cannot upgrade it. You have a choice of repackaging the IP in the later version of the tools. This has the advantage of the IP versions matching and not needing upgrading.

Alternatively you could generate the output products in the previous tools version and then add the IP along with the output products to the later tools version. The advantage here is that you don't have to repackage the IP, but you cannot make any changes to the IP customisation.

Best Regards
Aidan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if this answered your question
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and may help other users
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
amaccre

Hi eskull@0 ,

From reading your description there appear to be a few issues here. Each version of Vivado is supplied with a unique collection of IP. What I mean by this is that an IP that is version 1.0 is 2019.1 may be version 1.1 in 2019.2 and the 2019.2 version of the tools will not have the 1.0 version of the IP available.

It would appear that your custom IP is using an IP that is not available in the later version of the tools. This is why you cannot upgrade it. You have a choice of repackaging the IP in the later version of the tools. This has the advantage of the IP versions matching and not needing upgrading.

Alternatively you could generate the output products in the previous tools version and then add the IP along with the output products to the later tools version. The advantage here is that you don't have to repackage the IP, but you cannot make any changes to the IP customisation.

Best Regards
Aidan

Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if this answered your question
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and may help other users

View solution in original post

0 Kudos