Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

IPI Clock Frequency Propagation for Dummies

Hello,

I see this has been asked in several threads, but while it appears a handful of folks have figured it out not enough is posted to the threads for me to understand what exactly I need to do.

The questions is simply how to propagate a frequency value associated with a clock in the block design into a custom IP block.  Propagating the clock frequency from a Xilinx IP source into a Xilinx IP target is easy, just hook it up and go.  Setting a top-level parameter/generic on a custom IP block with the frequency to use within the block is also easy.  However I am failing to understand the incantation necessary to connect the two - evidently it requires a Tcl function but I don't understand where to put it or how to get IP packager to realize the script is present.

I've looked at Xilinx IP sources and see the proc definitions, but I don't understand how they get called.  I also don't understand how the value makes it to a VHDL generic or Verilog parameter; the examples I looked at (e.g. uartlite) have a whole lot of other stuff spread across multiple scripts, including calls to tcl libraries that I can't find any definition for.

So could someone who understands how to do it be so kind as to post a complete description of how to propagate a BD-level clock frequency attribute into a VHDL or Verilog custom IP module?  Including the minimum tcl scripts needed, where they are supposed to go, and how to get the packager to use them?

Many thanks in advance!

ken

1 Reply
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Anyone?

0 Kudos