UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

ISE 12.3 crashing on 'file open'

Accepted Solution Solved
Mentor
Accepted Solution

ISE 12.3 crashing on 'file open'

[ Edited ]

Running ISE 12.3 64-bit navigator on WinVista x64.

With a project already open, I try to open an existing Verilog source file which is not 'in the project'.

The file browser opens, then seems to hang (turns pale, a la windows "not responding"), then a crash alert box opens up saying that _pn.exe has crashed.

If I click on 'problem details', the implicated module is msvcrt.dll.  Specifically:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
  Application Name:    _pn.exe
  Application Version:    0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:    4c9179a2
  Fault Module Name:    msvcrt.dll
  Fault Module Version:    7.0.6002.18005
  Fault Module Timestamp:    49e04189
  Exception Code:    c0000005
  Exception Offset:    0000000000003ebd
  OS Version:    6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.1
  Locale ID:    1033
  Additional Information 1:    410b
  Additional Information 2:    403dc20c3f70dc2d48f6c12e68fbc144
  Additional Information 3:    e073
  Additional Information 4:    130ffd50a7c16d93986a04c35e3206e5

The 32-bit ISE Navigator shell doesn't seem to be afflicted, it opens the 'external' source file just fine.

This is a new one for me.  Any suggestions (besides "don't do that") ?

Is this the correct forum for this topic?

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.

Accepted Solutions
Mentor

Re: ISE 12.3 crashing on 'file open'

Apologies to everyone for not following up on Howard's recommended solution.

The answer is that Howard's solution is correct for the problem I was having ( _pn.exe crash ).  User Nachum wrote a very good, concise solution here, which I have copied below:

For everyone trying to use Xilinx ISE 14.5 in Windows 8 x64.

Rename libPortability.dll to libPortability.dll.orig, and copy libPortabilityNOSH.dll to libPortability.dll.

Do this in:

C:\Xilinx\14.5\ISE_DS\ISE\lib\nt64

C:\Xilinx\14.5\ISE_DS\common\lib\nt64 (copy dll from first location)

This turns off SmartHeap.

This will fix ISE and iMPACT crashes on file dialogs.

Nachum

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Xilinx Employee

Bob,

I have not hear of _pn crashing at this point before.  From what you describe it sounds like there is a conflict / issue in the Clip library used to render the browser GUI. 

The first thing that comes to mind to diagnose the problem is to run "Process monitor" from Microsoft, set a filter on commands that contain <your xilinx install path> and then open the browser.

It sounds like you don't get a chance to make any changes in the browser before the crash.  Is that true?

The browser should open with the default path of the current project directory if you have not already opened a new file in the browser and the default filter selection should be all ise source types. 

Does the crash happen regardless of what project is open?

Does the crash happen if there is not a project open?

Yes, this is probably the best forum board for this question.

Highlighted
Mentor

[ Edited ]

I have not hear of _pn crashing at this point before.

Welcome to my world!

From what you describe it sounds like there is a conflict / issue in the Clip library used to render the browser GUI.

That doesn't mean much to me, but no matter...

The first thing that comes to mind to diagnose the problem is to run "Process monitor" from Microsoft, set a filter on commands that contain <your xilinx install path> and then open the browser.

I'll give that a try.  Do you have directions to "Process monitor", or should I research this on my own?

update:  You mean this 'process monitor'?

update:  found it, installed, set include filter to 'path includes "Xilinx" '.

OK, done!  What do you want me to do with SAVEd history?  Do you prefer a file format (there are 3 choices)?

update:  ZIPped all three file formats, uploaded to yousendit.com, will private message the DL link to you.

It sounds like you don't get a chance to make any changes in the browser before the crash.  Is that true?

Yes.

The browser should open with the default path of the current project directory if you have not already opened a new file in the browser and the default filter selection should be all ise source types.

Correct.

Does the crash happen regardless of what project is open?

Haven't tried opening a new project yet.  I'll put this on my list of things to try.

Does the crash happen if there is not a project open?

I'll try that as well, it's simple enough.

By the way, the 32-bit ISE Navigator works fine in this aspect.  Only the 64-bit ISE shows this problem.  The last time I had a similar repeatable _pn.exe crash problem, the problem persisted for a while and then magically disappeared.  My uninformed guess is that a MicroSoft Windows update (probably to frameworks) cured the problem.  As you might discern, I'm not a Windows software nerd.

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
Xilinx Employee

Bob,

Thanks, the data you sent shows the error is first detected just after loading C:\Xilinx\12.3\ISE_DS\ISE\lib\nt64\SHSMP64.DLL (Line 125845)

From there on it seems to be just loading information and closing out.

There is a set of DLLs being loaded just before this (125778 to 125804).  These are all system DLLs that are being loaded to carry out the browse function.  Unfortunately, we cannot tell from these results where the DLLS are located since we only asked for paths including "Xilinx"

Ok, so I've given some more information that is basically useless to you.

What to try next.

1) Tun off SmartHeap.  ---

a. Rename C:\Xilinx\12.3\ISE_DS\ISE\lib\nt64\libPortability.dll to C:\Xilinx\12.3\ISE_DS\ISE\lib\nt64\libPortability_bac.dll

b. Rename C:\Xilinx\12.3\ISE_DS\ISE\lib\nt64\libPortabilityNOSH.dll to C:\Xilinx\12.3\ISE_DS\ISE\lib\nt64\libPortability.dll

c. Run Project Navigator and try to add a file.

d. If there is still a crash, reverse steps 1a and 1b and go to Step 2.

2) Get Dependancy Walker  and run it on _pn.exe

a. Dependancy Walker can be obtained from http://www.dependencywalker.com/

b. Open depends.exe and File > Open C:\Xilinx\12.3\ISE_DS\ISE\bin\nt64\_pn.exe

c. Select Profile > Start Profiling

d. Save the results as _pn.dwi and send them to me.

This should show where each DLL is being loaded from and with any luck will pinpoint an issue with a specific DLL (or combination).

Mentor

Thanks, Howard.  I'll probably get to this over the weekend and report back on Monday.

Have a good weekend.

-- Bob

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
Visitor

Same problem on Vista x64.

And another cause for crash/freez is when trying to check for IXE updates.

Is there any patch available for this problem?

Mentor

Have now updated to ISE 12.4.

Crashes seem to come and go.  So don't wait around, I'll holler when the problem rears its ugly head again.

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
Mentor

Apologies to everyone for not following up on Howard's recommended solution.

The answer is that Howard's solution is correct for the problem I was having ( _pn.exe crash ).  User Nachum wrote a very good, concise solution here, which I have copied below:

For everyone trying to use Xilinx ISE 14.5 in Windows 8 x64.

Rename libPortability.dll to libPortability.dll.orig, and copy libPortabilityNOSH.dll to libPortability.dll.

Do this in:

C:\Xilinx\14.5\ISE_DS\ISE\lib\nt64

C:\Xilinx\14.5\ISE_DS\common\lib\nt64 (copy dll from first location)

This turns off SmartHeap.

This will fix ISE and iMPACT crashes on file dialogs.

Nachum

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
Participant

I have the same symptoms on Xilinx ISE 10.1 with the Coregenerator, but there is no libPortabilityNOSH.dll that I can find.

Is there a similar solution for ISE 10.1?

Visitor

Hello everybody,

same trouble on XIlinx ISE 10.1 and the portabilityNOSH.dll does not exit on the lib folder.
Is someone with a solution?