UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant sjg69
Participant

ISE 14.2 / VNC

Jump to solution

So, I'm trying to get ISE to run over a VNC connection (since a straight X11 connection invoked by setting DISPLAY to my workstation is unusably slow) and it's refusing to open the main window.

In the terminal, I see no errors (lots of INFO messages saying how it's parsing my design, but no errors). On the VNC display, I see the 'tip of the day' window, but the ISE window itself never actually appears.

Working under the assumption that it's doing something to $DISPLAY after the tip-of-the-day appears, if I do:

/home/simon> which ise
/opt/Xilinx/14.2/ISE_DS/ISE/bin/lin64/ise

/home/simon> cd /opt/Xilinx/14.2/ISE_DS/ISE/bin/lin64/
Directory: /opt/Xilinx/14.2/ISE_DS/ISE/bin/lin64

bin/lin64> grep DISPLAY *
Binary file _cg matches
Binary file generatecore matches
Binary file _ipguilauncher matches
Binary file lmgrd matches
Binary file lmutil matches
Binary file smartxplorer matches
Binary file _timingan_cpld matches
Binary file windu_serviced50 matches
Binary file xgenkey matches
Binary file xilinxd matches

I can see that at least some of the programs handle/use $DISPLAY, but since they're binary files, I can't tell what they're doing. I know there was a case back in 11.1 where $DISPLAY was set to :0 unconditionally, but that used a script. I'm rather hoping the same problem hasn't now been migrated into an un-editable binary file...

I've tried using NX instead of X11, but due to all the shared-library shenanigans that Xilinx do, it crashes on me with a C++ link-time error which I haven't been able to resolve[*]  VNC works with other X11 apps (and with the tip-of-the-day app), so I don't think it's the server end that's the problem.

Any advice. Should I open a web-case ?

Cheers

Simon.

[*] Seriously guys, if you have to include pretty much the entire linux shared-library runtime to get it to work, just link it statically...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Participant sjg69
Participant

Re: ISE 14.2 / VNC

Jump to solution

Ok, replying to myself because I figured it out. 

It seems that ise (or perhaps the window manager on behalf of ise) starts itself up at the previous window co-ordinates, even if those are off-screen... The machine I was running it on before (let's call it 'machine A') had 3 30" monitors arranged Left-Center-Right, and ise was running on the Right one. 

Creating a virtual desktop (on machine B) large enough to hold all 3 of the desktops previously shown on machine A let me find ise's window over on the far right of the virtual desktop, and I could drag it back over to the left. In future, I guess I'll make sure that I don't put ise on the Right monitor on machine A before trying to use it on machine B...

Thought I'd write it up in case it was confusing anyone else...

Simon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Participant sjg69
Participant

Re: ISE 14.2 / VNC

Jump to solution

Ok, replying to myself because I figured it out. 

It seems that ise (or perhaps the window manager on behalf of ise) starts itself up at the previous window co-ordinates, even if those are off-screen... The machine I was running it on before (let's call it 'machine A') had 3 30" monitors arranged Left-Center-Right, and ise was running on the Right one. 

Creating a virtual desktop (on machine B) large enough to hold all 3 of the desktops previously shown on machine A let me find ise's window over on the far right of the virtual desktop, and I could drag it back over to the left. In future, I guess I'll make sure that I don't put ise on the Right monitor on machine A before trying to use it on machine B...

Thought I'd write it up in case it was confusing anyone else...

Simon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos