Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

ISE doesnt support dual core?

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have ise 12.4 isntalled on my e5400 computer (duall core), and i dont have an -MP switch when i enter process properties (for example, implemetation process)

what can be done?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Looks like the multi-threading is not available for all device families. My snapshot was from a Virtex6 design. Just checked when I changed the target device to a Spartan3E, the multi-threading option is not there on the Map Properties.

Cheers,
Jim

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Highlighted
Historian
Historian

@assaf123 wrote:

Hello,

I have ise 12.4 isntalled on my e5400 computer (duall core), and i dont have an -MP switch when i enter process properties (for example, implemetation process)

what can be done?

Demand that Xilinx finally do multi-processor versions of their tools.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

Demand that Xilinx finally do multi-processor versions of their tools.

Great idea.  What other things should we demand?

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

It's already in the tool under multithreading (see the snapshot below). The actual speed-up varies for different designs.

ScreenHunter_016.jpg

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Jim,

This is exactly what i was talking abput - i dont have this switch (-mt) although i DO HAVE a multi processor computer E5400.. my college has the same computer, the same version of ise and he DOES have this switch... i am really confused?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

This is exactly what i was talking about - i dont have this switch (-mt) although i DO HAVE a multi processor computer E5400.. my college has the same computer, the same version of ise and he DOES have this switch... i am really confused?

Most of the Xilinx apps folks are sleeping - it's the dead of night.  So I'll try an answer :)

I'm running ISE 12.4 on a Vista x64 machine with 8GB of DRAM.  Both 32bit and 64bit ISE Navigator show the MAP process multi-thread switch.

The OS and the DRAM complement might have something to do with enabling or disabling the MAP multi-thread switch.  By the way, you won't see this switch unless you have selected/highlighted the MAP process in the PROCESSES pane, then select in the command toolbar Process > Process Properties.

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Assuming you're on the Map Properties window, right above the "OK"/"Cancel" buttons, there is a dropdown list called "Property Display Level". Change it to "Advanced" and you will see the Multi-threading option.

@assaf123 wrote:

Jim,

This is exactly what i was talking abput - i dont have this switch (-mt) although i DO HAVE a multi processor computer E5400.. my college has the same computer, the same version of ise and he DOES have this switch... i am really confused?

Cheers,
Jim
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Hi guys... 

I am getting similiar window as the screenshot that Jim displayed, but WIHTOUT the -mp switch, and i AM clicking on the advanced , as you can see

So what can be done?

Untitled.jpg
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Looks like the multi-threading is not available for all device families. My snapshot was from a Virtex6 design. Just checked when I changed the target device to a Spartan3E, the multi-threading option is not there on the Map Properties.

Cheers,
Jim

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Oh,

thats explains everything.. my desing is of spartan3adsp and my college is of virtex -5

very strange whough, why it is not supported for all devices

Thank you all

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

thats explains everything.. my desing is of spartan3adsp and my college is of virtex -5 very strange whough, why it is not supported for all devices

Just a guess on my part....

ISE navigator is a 'shell', and behind the shell are completely different SW modules for MAP:

• older code for Spartan 3x place/route, which pre-dates 'multi-thread' design ("don't fix it if it isn't broken")
  • newer code for Virtex 5/6 and Spartan 6 place/route, designed with 'multi-thread' from the start

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Sounds logical... wht bother make a new code for old devices..

0 Kudos