UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer jamesba-bbc
Observer

Instantiating AXI_Lite_IPIF or other hidden IP cores

Jump to solution

I'm trying to build a new IP core and want to add an AXI Lite slave interface to it. Searching I found the documentation for the AXI Lite IPIF ( http://www.xilinx.com/products/intellectual-property/axi_lite_ipif.htm ) which seems to be exactly what I need. This core can be found in my Vivado IP catalogue on disk at 

/opt/Xilinx/Vivado/2013.1/data/ip/xilinx/axi_lite_ipif_v1_01_a

but it doesn't appear in the IP catalogue gui and when I try to create an instance of it with the command

create_ip -vendor xilinx.com -library ip -name axi_lite_ipif

I receive the error:

ERROR: [Coretcl 2-1134] No IP matching VLNV 'xilinx.com:ip:axi_lite_ipif:*' was found. Please check your repository configuration.

Further investigation shows that the core is listed in the file /opt/Xilinx/Vivado/2013.1/data/ip/vv_index.xml but it is set as "Hidden" for every architecture. Is there a way for me to instatiate this core even though it's hidden?

(I can make simulation work just by copying the hdl files from the core into my design, but to get synthesis to work I would need to also instantiate the core proc_common v.3.00, which is also hidden).

This seems like a very useful and helpful core for anyone designing their own IP, so I'm wondering why it's hidden.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Observer jamesba-bbc
Observer

Re: Instantiating AXI_Lite_IPIF or other hidden IP cores

Jump to solution

I've worked this one out. I've just copied the relevent files from the hidden cores into my design and it works correctly.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Observer jamesba-bbc
Observer

Jump to solution

I've worked this one out. I've just copied the relevent files from the hidden cores into my design and it works correctly.

0 Kudos
Visitor roger_j
Visitor

Jump to solution

I'm having the exact same problem. I don't find any way to instantiate this core. In EDK this core was instantiated for you when you used the "Create or Import Peripheral" but when using "Create and package IP" in Vivado you only get mapped registers and not the full IPIC interface.

So the question remains, why is it hidden and how is it supposed to be used? I read the PG155 document but it doesn't say anything about it.

Copying it from it's original location into current design folder doesn't feel like the intended way of using it...

Regards,

Roger

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Newbie esd_segula

Jump to solution

Dear Support,

I have the same problem. This seems to be the only Xilinx interface that fits our need to interface our custom IP. I tried to copy the files of IPIF 2.0 but a lot of packages are missing. I did not find in the Xilinx catalog an axi interface to a generic custom interface containing both memories and control registers. We would appreciate a solution. Thank you, Maurizio

0 Kudos
Scholar stephenm
Scholar

Jump to solution
If you open the XML file for the IP, there is a ishidden attribute set to true. Set this to false to view this ip in the ip catalogue
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I also have the same problem. Where do ! find the ipod.xml file?

0 Kudos
Observer bdillahuntdra
Observer

Jump to solution

In case you're still having the same problem, I thought I'd mention how I got around it.  I modified the .xml files for the two cores that I needed.  These are the 'component.xml' files located in the data\ip\xilinx\ repository of Vivado.

Jump to solution

I looked in  the component directory for the IPIC, i modified   the attribute hideInCatalogGui  to false, it made no difference.

I then modified the vv_index.xml file by changing the part status of the IPIC  to production , it was previously Hidden. this then resulted in the part appearing under the   IP catalog under the project manage tab, it still does not appear under the IP integrator from the block design window .

I am using 2013.4 which may explain why i am getting different results!

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

I'd encourage you to use the "Create Peripheral" option accessible fromTools->Create and Package IP wizard.

This creates an IP with the same interface logic for axi lite slave (or other AXI interfaces), creating a custom IP which you can then edit and add your own functionality to.

The old IPIC IP had some downsides and most of the feedback was that it would be better for users to incorporate HDL that can perform the AXI transations directly into their custom IP.  The above wizard should give you that starting point which you can further edit to incorporate your own functions.

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

I had a similar discussion about "create peripheral" a few days ago. It creates a template which decodes the AXI4-lite bus, but I found that you have to study it and understand it pretty well in order to make use of it, and then modify/circumvent the behavior that they have built in, in order to meet your needs.

The template has areas which say "user logic goes here", etc., but in reality you need to modify many other parts of the module. It seriously needs documentation and examples on how to use it., so that us hapless users don't have to reverse engineer the template functionality.

Also, it creates two HDL modules, where the top one simply calls another one which has an identical interface, and which performs the bus decoding. I still don't understand what is the advantage of this indirection.

0 Kudos
Visitor marcdesm2
Visitor

Jump to solution

I don't see "Create and package IP" in Vivado 2013.2, only "package IP".  Is it the same thing?  Does it need to be invoked from a new project dedicated to the design of this AXI / Custom HDL creation?

0 Kudos
Visitor nigg
Visitor

Jump to solution

Dear Support,

we are trying to migrate our "old" but working pcores from Planahead 14.2 into Vivado 2014.2. So far this seems linke a real pain. I cant find an easy way to make the pcores usable in vivado. And when I was looking for the essential "AXI Slave Burst" IP that Xilinx proposed at the time of creating the pcores, it seems that we again have to inverst many hours to write a solution for something already solved so many times.

Ever since I startet trying to migrate to vivado I feel like invernting the wheel over and over again. Am I the only one? What easy way am I missing?

What block is replacing the "AXI Slave Burst"?

BR

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

If moving to the new create peripherial code doesn't work for you, another option is to create a library core out of the old pcore source.

This is documented in UG940 Embedded Processor Hardware Design, see "Lab 5: Converting Legacy EDK IP to Use in IP Integrator"

Copy out the old pcore directories from edk and follow along with the lab instructions.

0 Kudos