Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

Invisible IP Mystery

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am having a lot of trouble adding IP cores to my project in a way that synthesis will see it.

In my TCL script that sets up the project I have these commands.

read_ip ../ip/fr_rom_3/fr_rom_3.xci

read_ip ../ip/fr_rom_2/fr_rom_2.xci

generate_target {all} [get_ips *]

Unfortunately, when I run synthesis it tells me

ERROR: [Synth 8-493] no such design unit 'fr_rom_3'

This is confusing because "report_ip" and "get_ips" both show the cores to be in the project.  Also, if I open the project file in the Vivado GUI it shows the cores correctly located under the vhdl source that calls them.  When I try to run synthesis inside the GUI it instantly replaces the core icons with red question marks and gives the same error message above.

Using the GUI, I have found if I remove and then add the xci files a couple of times Vivado will recognize the cores and synthesis can proceed.

I have compiled from scripts many times before with IP cores so I don't know why this suddenly stopped working.

Any ideas?

Pete

----------------------------------------
DSP in hardware and software
-----------------------------------------
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Invisible IP Mystery

Jump to solution

Hi,

You need to launch IP OOC synthesis run after generating output products of IP.

synth_ip [get_ips ip_name]

You can use above command to do this.

Refer to page-155 of http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2014_1/ug896-vivado-ip.pdf for more details.

Thanks,
Deepika

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

Jump to solution
I should add that the generate_target command is generating a bunch of files like I expected.

I also verified that I am calling the core correctly by looking in the generated .vho file. All the formal parameter have the right names and sizes.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hello @pedro_uno ,

When you say ip's are getting red question marks i feel cores are generated for some other fpga device and you are trying to use these cores for other fpga family. 

is this behaviour consistent? if yes can you attach your script and .xci files to reproduce the issue?

-Pratham

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

Jump to solution

Pratham,

Thanks for taking a look at my problem. That was a good idea about wrong families. I double checked the device settings in the IP versus the compilation project and they appear to be the same exact part.

I have created a mini-design that shows the problem.  It is attached to this reply.

To reproduce the problem just go into the implement folder and run

source setup.tcl 

source compile.tcl

That should give the error.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

You need to launch IP OOC synthesis run after generating output products of IP.

synth_ip [get_ips ip_name]

You can use above command to do this.

Refer to page-155 of http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2014_1/ug896-vivado-ip.pdf for more details.

Thanks,
Deepika

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

Jump to solution

Deepika,

That worked.

I added this command to my compile script, first thing after opening the project.

synth_ip [get_ips *]

It identifies when the IP is already synthesized and does not blindly rerun synthesis on the IP each time I compile.

This left me wondering how all my other FPGA projects were able to compile.  It looks like some types of IP cores, FIR filters for example, do not need synthesis.  On the other hand, memory IPs need to be individually synthesized.

I normally infer or instantiate memories so they can be parameterizable. I guess that is why I never ran into this before.

Thanks for the help.

Pete

0 Kudos