cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikejohnson
Observer
Observer

Large Spartan7 support in webpack missing?

Jump to solution

Hello,

I've been producing an open source board for retro gaming (www.fpgaarcade.com) based around a sparan3e1600 for many years. I use high end ultrascale/+ for work and have access to the tools, but it's important than everybody can build my designs using the free tool chain.

I've waited for a low cost 7-series device (sans-SerDes) for Years. Xilinx have fallen so far behind here it's ridiculous.

I received early access and have nearly completed my new board design based around a 7s75 (7s100 can be fitted) as the s50 offers too few I/O pins.

Vivado 2018.1 only appears to support the s50 and s25 devices in webpack. If this is correct, furious is not the word....

I will migrate to the other side after nearly 20 years of Xilinx use.

s7.jpg

May I point out that Altera Cyclone5 (which is used in similar projects to mine) has not only been shipping for ages, they are all supported by their "lite" version of the toolchain?

What's going on guys? Austin can you help?

Thanks and best regards,

Mike

(edit - I haven't installed 2018.1 yet, and as I have the early access key I need to run up the tool on different machine to be sure what's supported)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
anatoli

Hello @mikejohnson,

Please note that this note “… All Spartan-7 FPGAs are supported by the no-cost Vivado® HL WebPACK™ Edition" needs to be modified, as not all of the all Spartan-7 FPGAs are supported by Vivado WebPACK in 2018.1.

I will contact the appropriate people to get this corrected.

A good news for you is that i've verified and 7S75 together with 7S100 are supported by Vivado WebPACK devices, so you can target these in 2018.1 without any additional purchased licenses.

I will also make sure the table in the latest UG973 gets updated to include these devices.

Thanks for reporting this issue for us and have a nice day.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

If starting with Versal, take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our
Versal Blogs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
mikejohnson
Observer
Observer
https://www.xilinx.com/news/press/2017/xilinx-spartan-7-fpgas-now-in-production.html

This is why I started the design "All Spartan-7 FPGAs are supported by the no-cost Vivado® HL WebPACK™ Edition".

Any idea when this will be in the shipping toolchain?
0 Kudos
anatoli

Hello @mikejohnson,

Please note that this note “… All Spartan-7 FPGAs are supported by the no-cost Vivado® HL WebPACK™ Edition" needs to be modified, as not all of the all Spartan-7 FPGAs are supported by Vivado WebPACK in 2018.1.

I will contact the appropriate people to get this corrected.

A good news for you is that i've verified and 7S75 together with 7S100 are supported by Vivado WebPACK devices, so you can target these in 2018.1 without any additional purchased licenses.

I will also make sure the table in the latest UG973 gets updated to include these devices.

Thanks for reporting this issue for us and have a nice day.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

Versal Blogs

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
mikejohnson
Observer
Observer

Thanks for the rapid response.

Good to know the s75/s100 are supported in webpack. I would like to see an official notification for this before we go to production, just in case it changes later. I assume all package/speed grades (likely require -2) ?

Out of interest, which S7 devices are not supported?

I'm installing 2018.1 in a clean environment to validate the flow, I'll respond if there are any issues.

Best regards,

Mike

0 Kudos
anatoli

Hello @mikejohnson,

"...which S7 devices are not supported?"

XC7S6, XC7S15, XA7S6 and XA7S15 - They are supported by the tools, but they are not added in webpack. For these you'd need a valid license.

"I assume all package/speed grades (likely require -2) ?"

Here is the screenshot of what Vivado WebPACK 2018.1 has in relation to XC7S75 parts and their package/speed grades:

Forum_31.png

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

Versal Blogs

mikejohnson
Observer
Observer

That's great thanks, panic over.

We've installed 18.1 on a clean system and are running a test design now.

Best,

Mike

0 Kudos
alesea
Explorer
Explorer

Apologies Mike,

Xilinx and I have parted ways.  Glad to see issue is successfully resolved,

Austin Lesea

0 Kudos
mikejohnson
Observer
Observer

Austin,

Apologies I just saw your message. Massive loss to Xilinx, best of luck with whatever you are up to now.

Cheers,

Mike

0 Kudos
alesea
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks for your kind words,

In my new job, I will be posting as lowearthorbit

alesea will no longer post (my persona while I was waiting to work) --

0 Kudos