UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor ldm_as
Visitor

Logic inside of SystemVerilog Interfaces

Hi All,

Is it possible to write logic (FIFOs, etc) inside of SystemVerilog Interfaces?

Could a logic be written inside of modports?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Logic inside of SystemVerilog Interfaces

Hi @ldm_as ,

Please check the below post on how to connect interface to logic in Vivado synthesi:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Design-and-Debug-Techniques-Blog/Using-SystemVerilog-interfaces-to-connect-logic-in-Vivado/ba-p/942512 

Thanks,

Raj

0 Kudos
Scholar markcurry
Scholar

The referenced article does not address @ldm_as root question. 

The root question is active logic inside of a SystemVerilog interface.  Within a modport is not the correct question, it's actually within the interface.  A modport (apart from giving a hint to tools regarding port directions) only restricts access to the entire interface members.  By accessing interface members via a modport, you're just restricting yourself to a limited subset of the entire interface.  This can be ok, analogous to public/private methods in OO design.

Back to the original question - active logic within interfaces.  The language restricts your somewhat - one cannot instantiate sub-module instances within an interface.  The language does allow procedural blocks (always, initial), and continuous assignments within an interface.  However, my experiments with Vivado Synthesis in this regard have shown LIMITED support.  The tool often would accept legal SystemVerilog code within an interface, but NOT produce logic which matched the RTL.  The tool may also (falsely) trigger with weird multi-driver error messages.  In short, no Vivado doesn't appear to support active logic within an interface.

Functions within an interface that sample the interface members are supported, and work in well in synthesis, and can be modport imported into the calling modules scope.  We use these extensively.

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
Visitor ldm_as
Visitor

"Functions ... can be modport imported into the calling modules scope" - could you please explain what does it mean "imported"? Could you please provide an example?

0 Kudos
Scholar markcurry
Scholar

interface some_bus_if();
  bit [ 31 : 0 ] bus_addr;
//...
function bit match_addr( input bit [ 31 : 0 ] my_reg_addr, my_reg_range );
bit match;
if( some_calc_of( my_reg_addr, my_reg_range, bus_addr ) )
match = 1;
return( match );
endfunction

modport slave
(
/* port direction modports here */,
import match_addr
);

endinterface

module some_module
(
some_bus_if.slave s_my_bus_if,
// other module sigals
);

wire my_reg_matches_bus_cycle = s_my_bus_if.match_addr( my_reg_addr, my_reg_reg_range );
// above wire is a one when a bus operation is occuring to this register's decode range
endmodule

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
Visitor ldm_as
Visitor

Understood, thanks!

0 Kudos