UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor begleysm
Visitor

NGC from ISE

Hello all,

I have an ISE (with EDK submodule) project that has been designed to run on an FPGA Dev-Board with a small FPGA on it.

I now have a need to instantiate this design several times on a much larger FPGA.

Is it possible to have ISE output an NGC file so that I may stick that NGC component into another project and just wire up its ports accordingly?  Or does it already do this before constucting the BIT file?  Is the NGC with the same name as the BIT the NGC I'm looking for?

If not, does anyone have a suggestion on how to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Sean

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Instructor
Instructor

Re: NGC from ISE

It's a little unusual to replicate a whole project just the way it is.  Do you mean that there

will be no interconnections between copies of the project? i.e. each copy is independent

with its own input and output pins?  In that case, yes just use the NGC file created from

the small project build (<top_module_name>.ngc).  However if you need to change connections,

you must re-build the small project without input / output buffers.  Otherwise trying to

interconnect the copies internally to the FPGA will lead to errors.  You can do this by

uncheckng the synthesis property "Add I/O Buffers" and re-running synthesis.  This

will produce a .ngc file without I/O buffers that can then be instantiated as a black

box in the larger project.

-- Gabor
0 Kudos