Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
migry
Observer
Observer

New Ryzen 9 PC + New Vivado 2020.2 = crash, crash, crash :-(

Jump to solution

I've just upgraded my PC to a new AMD Ryzen 9 (Win10 Home, 64Gb). One thing I was looking forward to is shorter FPGA source compilation time.

On the old PC I think that I had an old version (2016?) installed. After some thought I decided to install the very latest version and during installation chose the "Webpack Edition" as I am a hobbiest/maker.

Once installed I went to a copy of the last project I was working on. It compiled on the old PC a few days ago. I was interested to see how much quicker compilation time would be. I tried "run synthesis" and the PC crashed and re-booted. The xpr file was corrupted, and had to be re-created. OK, so this time I deleted all the old "temporary" folders in case there was an issue with leaving the files from the older version of Vivado. Over the next 20 minutes I had at least 3 more PC crash and reboots, there was no consistency in where it got to. In one case it nearly got to generate a binary but I had forget to include the xdc. Once again the xpr was corrupted.

In the Windows event viewer logs I saw multiple entries for "Event ID 6008" before the entry for the reboot. The log entry was not helpful and did not point to Vivado, however I googled and found "AR#71064 2018.1 Vivado - Vivado crashes when opening a project or adding an HDL source file to a project" which mentioned Event ID 6005.

1) is this a known problem?

2) is there a fix?

3) is it related to AR#71064 for which a "patch" was provided. Since the above bug only mentioned 2017 and 2018, I wondered if the bug had been fixed in later versions.

I would try an earlier version, but the download and install is very very slow. I was getting 5Mb/s download.

Fingers crossed someone can help.

From the last crash there are files left in the "synth_1" sub-folder. I took a look at them, but didn't spot any crash related messages.

[Originally posted in the wrong sub-forum]

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
43 Replies
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

Interesting

There seems to be something strange here,

I'd suggest its some combination of your specific hardware / drivers, other software.

I'd suggest that the way to try to find this , is drastic,

take out everything not essential on the motherboard,

if you have on board graphics, use that, do not use a high end graphics card.

rember we are trying to find out what it is , so need to be drastic and thorough 

then format your drive, and install windows, and all updates,

then, with no other optional programs installed, ( word , games et all )

install vivado,

That will either work or fail,

if it fails, then we've localised the cause

if it works , we have a route forward to localise.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
mfreesto
Visitor
Visitor

Hello again,

I seem to have stumbled onto something that works – at least in my case. After proving to myself that my HW was stable (extensive stress tests etc), a full Vivado uninstall / reinstall… I decided to try and disable SMT (Simultaneous Multithreading which is AMD’s Hyperthreading). And... no more Vivado crashes! It rather sucks that my shiny new 12 core / 16 thread PC is now limited to 12 cores and 12 threads but at least I can get some work done. I am not sure how to post a bug report with Xilinx on this. Maybe I was just unlucky but perhaps there is a sublet difference with SMT vs HT that causes Vivado to crash hard taking Windows with it.

I wonder if this would work for the original reason for this thread.

Mike

drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

well found you

Hope Xilinx pick this up

But it is strange with the number of these chips and copies of vivado out there that this is not much more common

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
migry
Observer
Observer

I much appreciate you taking the time to report your own problem with Vivado 2020.2. It's never nice when you have a strange crash and you "think" it's a software/drivers/BIOS/Win10 issue, but you're never quite sure if it's a subtle hardware issue instead!

Your crash sounds identical to mine, and yes I was surprised that there were no crash logs at all.

Since my last posting, I have updated the GFX card BIOS. It's a high end card, so issues with BIOS and drivers are a possibility. I can't swap it out for a lower end card, since the only other one I have in my old PC is water cooled, and it would be way too much effort to swap it over (and as everyone is likely aware it's almost impossible to buy any "decent" GFX cards at the moment in the UK). Since then I have only had one crash, just the other day, while playing Word of Tanks. I'll blame that on something to do with the GFX system!

I wanted to give Kudos, but when I hover over the "thumbs up" I get a "no entry" sign. 

0 Kudos
migry
Observer
Observer

This is my reply to your second posting (which doesn't appear to get referenced).

Wow!!!

I have no idea exactly what "Simultaneous Multithreading which is AMD’s Hyperthreading" is (no need to answer - I will google and learn), and this is my first Ryzen PC, but great work in identifying a way to work-around the problem. I did enable something in the motherboard BIOS to allow Oracle VM to run, but I am pretty sure that was something completely different.

For me, I'm happy to stick with the older 2017.4 version, which works just fine. Since my last posting I have been able to make good progress with my project. The only issues I am now facing are caused by bugs in my RTL :-). Since I no longer have 2020.2 installed on my PC I cannot try out your work-around, so I would like to press "Accept as Solution", but really can't do that until I have re-installed and tried it out.

I did hope when I made the original posting that it might help/warn other users who faced the same problem, so again I thank you for contributing to this thread.

I think this time I was able to give you Kudos - the "thumbs up" has gone red!

mfreesto
Visitor
Visitor

Thank you! If you ever have a chance to try Vivado 2020.2 on your Ryzen 9 machine again please let us know if enabling / disabling SMT using Ryzen Master makes a difference (or not).. If there are two of us with very different HW (other than the R9) experiencing the same violent crash, Xilinx may be more interested to listen. 

mfreesto
Visitor
Visitor

Hello all,

Another update... It turns out this SMT issue been fixed in the latest AMD AGESA version. This version was incorporated into the latest BETA BIOS from my motherboard vendor. After updating my BIOS to this BETA version I can now happily run Vivado with SMT enabled. It sees all 24 threads! Vivado still does not make use of them but that's another story. The moral of the story - keep one's BIOS up to date!

View solution in original post

drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

Fantastic

great of you to get back to us,

0 Kudos
migry
Observer
Observer

So @mfreesto thanks to your analysis. I had to see if your solution worked for me too.

Bottom line -> YES!

Firstly I went through the slow and painful re-install of 2020.2 ... again ... the third time ...

When I next re-booted the PC I went into the BIOS. FWIW my motherboard is an Asus ROG Strix X570-F (apparently a gaming motherboard, not that was the reason for buying this particular PC). There were the usual multitude of settings, but for the "Advanced CPU" only a small number : PSS; NX; SVM (needed for Oracle-VM) and Core Leveling. Nothing that appeared to be multi-threading related.

So today I downloaded the latest BIOS and did the update, which was fairly painless. I now found that there were more options under "Advanced CPU" : SMT and CCD. SMT appeared to be the setting, and I set is to "Disabled", saved and re-booted. I have a widget which displays the loading of each core and now instead of 32 cores I only had 16. Bummer dude!

I copied the last project I was working on and cautiously fired up Vivado SDK, and opened the project. I got the usual "wrong version - shall I update" message, and then I was able to go through each of the synthesis steps, WITH NO CRASH.

I will try "Enabled" for SMT and post back the result.

FWIW my CPU is a Ryzen 9 5950X and I have 64Mb of RAM running at the un-overclocked slow speed of 2133MHz (it's rated for 3600). GPU is the ridiculously overpowered RTX 3090. For those interested this was the only way at that time (March 2021) to get a system quickly with this powerful CPU and a decent GFX card. I note now that these CPUs appear to be more readily available, but GFX cards are still more rare than rocking horse +@*$.

0 Kudos
mfreesto
Visitor
Visitor

That is great, thanks for lettings us know @migry. Your machine is a beast - can't really get better HW than that... I have a 5900X. With my latest BIOS I enabled the DOCP RAM profile and and SMT. No Vivado crashes after several days of heavy use. Hopefully your results will be the same so you get your full 32 processing threads back. BTW, I use the Windows based Ryzen Master to configure my CPU as it know all of the various BIOS settings to use (lazy mode). Otherwise you have to be careful not to set conflicting setting directly in the BIOS. So I loaded the default BIOS settings, loaded the DOCP memory profile and the used Ryzen master for the rest. I found the 'productivity' profile with SMT enabled and 1:1 synchronous mode gave me the best performance (with the clock speed set to 1800MHz for DDR 3600). Once stable you can try PBO and auto OC for a few a % clock speed boost. Auto OC is best for workloads like Vivado as it favors higher single core clock speeds vs PBO which optimizes all cores (at the expense of single core peek). There are plenty of YouTube videos to help you out with OC. Once done you'll be very happy with your new machine I'm sure!

0 Kudos
syedz

@migry  @mfreesto  

We have tried a few designs on AMD Ryzen PC but couldn't reproduce the system crash issue that you reported. 

I have sent you email from ezmove (ftp), Can you please have a look and respond back with the requested files?

--Syed 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
migry
Observer
Observer

HI @syedz , I received an unexpected email invite from "EZMOVE", which at first I was suspicious of, but was able to convince myself it really was from Xilinx! The email really needs a way to make it CRYSTAL clear this is a genuine email from Xilinx and is not a PHISHING email.

I have now replied and sent the requested information.

As @mfreesto has explained in order to reproduce this issue, you will need a particular Ryzen motherboard and BIOS combination. It is possible that many older BIOSes contain a bug which happens to trigger the Win10 Vivado crash.

The work-around which worked for me was to disable SMT in the BIOS, however my original BIOS did NOT have an option to do anything with SMT! Only when I updated to the latest BIOS did I find an option to enable(default) or disable SMT. My motherboard is: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING. Using CPU-Z this BIOS is "American Megatrends Inc. , 3801, 04/07/2021". I do not know the version of the BIOS which was originally installed.

Just to avoid any questions, at the time I needed/wanted to buy a new PC, due to total lack of GFX cards and high-end Ryzen CPUs, I had to buy a complete system, rather than specifying and building my own. So 1) this is not the motherboard I would have chosen (but I don't think it really matters) 2) I would have chosen a cheaper GFX card.

regards...

0 Kudos
migry
Observer
Observer

I received a notification email to say that there was a new posting - the one above by @Alexa_William .I thought that the text looked familiar. It is cut and paste of one of my earlier postings, apart from the hyperlink at the bottom (which I WILL NOT be clicking on!). I'm pleased to say that everything in my original post is accurate, and I did email and get the OK from the supplier to install the latest motherboard BIOS.

0 Kudos
richardhead
Scholar
Scholar

@migry There seem to have been a fair few spam postings around recently. Just report it and hopefully it will dissapear.