Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

RTL view has incorrect net names displayed

Jump to solution

I wasn't sure if this should be in the Synthesis or Design Entry Forums, so I placed it here.

I am using 2015.4 and trying to view my vhdl code with the RTL viewer.  I see many signal names that are not correct  in the schematic that Vivado created from my HDL source, but if I click on the net the correct name appears in the window to the left of the schematic.  I tried 2016.1 to see if this was addressed in a newer version of the tool, the same problem is seen.  

Here's a screen shot, the red arrow show the error while the green arrow shows the good signal names.  

god and bad.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Guide
Guide

I suspect this is one of the many "interesting" result you get when you set synthesis "flatten_hierarchy = rebuilt" (which is the default).

When flatten_hierarchy is set to full or rebuilt, the synthesis tool flattens all hierarchy - it moves all cells and nets to the top level of hierarchy for the actual synthesis. When set to rebuilt, after synthesis is complete, it attempts to rebuild the hierarchy - putting cells back in their original location in the hierarchy. Be definition, this is not a guaranteed thing, since the purpose of flattening was to perform optimization across hierarchical boundaries - after that optimization is done, you have logic that came from a combination of hierarchies. Presumably as part of this, your bus is getting partially exploded.

If you care about this (and I absolutely do), then set flatten_hierarchy to "none". When you do this, the hierarchy of your synthesized design will match your RTL exactly, and I suspect all these "oddities" you are seeing will go away.

Avrum

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @steve_av,

Can you give it a try with Vivado 2016.2 (latest Vivado version)? If you still observe the issue, is it possible to share the design to reproduce the issue?

Regards,
Ashish
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

I'll download that tonight.  I'll probably ditch 2016.1 since I don't have any designs using that version.  I've stayed with 2015.4 since for the most part it's stable for my use.  This RTL view thing has me spending a lot of time second guessing my code and need to get that out of the productivity equation.  

This is another oddity, this is with 2015.4.  I have 38 buses each 17 bit wide.  Why does the RTL view arbitrarly decide to break some of the buses down into bits instead of leaving them intact as a bus?    In this example buses 9 through 28 were left as buses by the tool but all the other buses are broken out to bits.  Viewing the rtl is a nightmare... a sea of green!

bus is busted.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Guide
Guide

I suspect this is one of the many "interesting" result you get when you set synthesis "flatten_hierarchy = rebuilt" (which is the default).

When flatten_hierarchy is set to full or rebuilt, the synthesis tool flattens all hierarchy - it moves all cells and nets to the top level of hierarchy for the actual synthesis. When set to rebuilt, after synthesis is complete, it attempts to rebuild the hierarchy - putting cells back in their original location in the hierarchy. Be definition, this is not a guaranteed thing, since the purpose of flattening was to perform optimization across hierarchical boundaries - after that optimization is done, you have logic that came from a combination of hierarchies. Presumably as part of this, your bus is getting partially exploded.

If you care about this (and I absolutely do), then set flatten_hierarchy to "none". When you do this, the hierarchy of your synthesized design will match your RTL exactly, and I suspect all these "oddities" you are seeing will go away.

Avrum

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

NIce.. no secret decoder ring needed now.  Thanks for the tip.  All my signals as are I named them and buses aren't 'busted'.

thanks

0 Kudos