Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bg_viv
Observer
Observer

Revision Control with Vivado 2020.2

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am looking into setting up revision control in my Vivado 2020.2 projects and I am looking for assistance in determining the minimal files needed to fully recreate a project and any recommended processes for recreation. The project contains IP (without core containers), Block Designs, Constraints, and Design Runs. There does not seem to be much documentation on revision control with Vivado, so any tips, experiences, or processes would be appreciated.

Thank you

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

Hi,

in general , unless yo are totally scripted to generate a design from sources, 

version control in Xilinx tools is a real pain.

Worse is if you want to use GUI and scripted together, 

And , just remember to do a COMPLETE re build from scratch on a new machine to prove your build scripts from source.

I have seen more than once, a comany that thought it had everything "source controled" and did not, one only found out when they moved building and had to then find the PC from the dumpster.

My technique is brutal, 

have a VM, with a plane new install of the tools on. 

Save that as your master 

When you want to do a test build, 

make a new copy of the VM, and run your script on that VM.

Oh, and make certain you have downloaded the full Xilinx tool chain, and put it to one side,

Again seen more than one company found there latest machines and OS , just did not work as they expected  / scripted.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>

View solution in original post

3 Replies
syedz

@bg_viv 

From 2020.2 the IP and BD output products are now separately generated in .gen folder to improve vivado project for revision control. 

Check the following link:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2020_2/ug892-vivado-design-flows-overview.pdf#nameddest=xUsingSourceControlSystemsWithTheVivadoTool 

Also,  Revision Control for Block Designs 

--Syed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
richardhead
Scholar
Scholar

@bg_viv assuming you're happy to script ( in either project or non project mode)  then the minimum set you need to start from scratch is

1. Your project creation and build scripts

2. Your hdl files (vhdl, verilog etc)

3. Ip files, simply .xci and .bd files.

4. Xdc files for the project.  Ips will generate their own xdc files.

That is all that's needed.  I would recommend avoiding bd files as much as possible as it is very difficult to track changes.  Xcis are fairly simple and merges across versions is possible.

drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

Hi,

in general , unless yo are totally scripted to generate a design from sources, 

version control in Xilinx tools is a real pain.

Worse is if you want to use GUI and scripted together, 

And , just remember to do a COMPLETE re build from scratch on a new machine to prove your build scripts from source.

I have seen more than once, a comany that thought it had everything "source controled" and did not, one only found out when they moved building and had to then find the PC from the dumpster.

My technique is brutal, 

have a VM, with a plane new install of the tools on. 

Save that as your master 

When you want to do a test build, 

make a new copy of the VM, and run your script on that VM.

Oh, and make certain you have downloaded the full Xilinx tool chain, and put it to one side,

Again seen more than one company found there latest machines and OS , just did not work as they expected  / scripted.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>

View solution in original post