Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Running ISE suite on RHEL7

Hi,

I have a problem running the ISE suite graphically under Red Hat Enterprise Linux version 7. It appears that the underlying tools such as xst, map, par etc all run okay in batch mode, but trying to run the IDEs graphically under RHEL7 causes a segmentation fault in the case of ISE Project Navigator, or just plain fails to open in the case of XPS. I have checked for missing libraries using ldd, and this all seems okay. I have tried both ISE13.4 and 14.7, both of which show the same behaviour. It also seems that ISE14.7 installer fails with a segmentation fault when run under RHEL7.

I am well aware that RHEL7 is not officially supported for ISE, due to the final version of ISE predating the release of RHEL7, but I just wondered whether anybody had been successful in running ISE under RHEL7 or clones, such as Centos 7 or Scientific Linux 7, and if so, what additional steps they needed to take, if any.

Many thanks in advance.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @glennchid ,

This does seem like a OS compatability issue. If you have checked the libraries and the MD5 checksum matches that on the downloads page then I would recommend moving to a supported OS. You might be able to find a 3rd party work around however there's a chance compatability issues could still occur way down the road in which we would not be able to replicate and troubleshooting would be extremely limited if possible at all.

Thank you,
Devin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hi Devin,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortuntely the number of current supported OSes for ISE is becoming fewer and fewer with time. From the following AR (https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/18419.html), the supported OSes for ISE14 are listed as:
- Windows XP Pro/Windows 7 Pro 32/64-bit/Windows Server 2008 - ISE, ChipScope, EDK, Sysgen, ISIM
- RHEL WS 5 32/64-bit, RHEL WS 6 32/64-bit - ISE, ChipScope, EDK, ISIM, Sysgen
- SUSE 32/64-bit - ISE, ChipScope, EDK, ISIM, Sysgen

Just in terms of MS Windows, MS support for XP ended in 2014, and end-of-life for Win7 and Server 2008 is due in January 2020. Do Xilinx have any plan for software support on Windows for their pre-7-series devices, such as Virtex-6, which are still widely available? I note that ISE can be made to work on Windows 10 with a few hacks to the OS, despite not being officially supported. I also saw recently that a newer version of ISE14.7 has recently been made available on the download page for Windows 10, however it only can target Spartan-6 devices. Is this the only pre-7-series device that Xilinx plan to continue support for?

Regarding Red Hat linux: RHEL5 has been discontinued for several years; and RHEL6 is very old now (first released 2010), and my organisation are migrating all RHEL6 machines to RHEL7, ahead of RHEL6 reaching end-of-life in a few years time. I was hoping that somebody who has been sucessful in using ISE/EDK on RHEL7 might reply, so then I would know it is at least feasible.

I have no idea about SUSE, but diregarding this, it looks like Windows 10 is the feasible (semi-)supported option for the longer term, if ISE can not be made to work on RHEL7.

Best wishes,

Glenn.

0 Kudos