cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Schematic entry page to page connections

I have created a schematic on 4 pages. Everything is working fine except interpage connections are routed outside the device.

How can I connect signals on one page to another page. It must be simple but it is illuding me. Help!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Re: Schematic entry page to page connections

Hi,

the Xilinx schematic tool does not have inter page connectors.

It's mainly a hierarchical editor.

While it can handle multipage schematics too, the creation and management can on be done via the schematic properties.

So for a number of separate schematics you have to make symbols from your schematics and then put them on a toplevel schematic and connect them there.

Symbol creation is easy using the tool found under "Misc. Tools" in the process window.

The reason for this is that the schematics are in the end converted to some HDL and are not managed in itself like you might know it from PCB tools or high level third party tools.

If you actually happen to have a multisheet schematic the connection is done by naming the wires.

Have a nice synthesis

Eilert

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

A multi-sheet schematic does not require any connecting object.  Nets are connected by name association.  A net named "fred" on sheet 1 will be connected to all other nets named "fred" in all of the sheets of a single schematic whether or not there is a visible net connection shown.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Hi Howard,

I wasn't aware that the ISE schematic tool can handle multiple sheets. ( I already edited my former post.)

My only excuse is that this feature isn't very obvious, since it can only be used via the schematic properties which are opened only on very rare occasions unless one is aware of the multisheet feature.

Other tools with a more obvious multisheet usage not only have easy acessible buttons or menu items like "create new page" but also inter page connectors, as asked for by the thread initiator. These are helpful to highlight true inter page connections thus making the documentation clearer and allowing DRCs to identify accidently equally named nets on different sheets.

(The connect by name feature is useful for US-style schematics, where components are not actually connected by wires. To me that's not a schematic, but an instance catalog. My personal preference would be a DRC that identifies unconnected wires of the same name and gives at least a warning. But if you have this, interpage connectors are a must.)

Kind regards

Eilert

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi,

I have problem with connect 2 sheets:
I have many wires a buses (nets) to connect between sheet 1 and sheet 2
Eg.:
bus (net) with name on sheet 1 is "D15(7:0)" and Im trying rename bus (7:0) on sheet 2 to D15(7:0) and pop-up error window:

Error: A net named 'D15(7:0)' already exists in the schematic.If you want to merge nets, please use Rename Selected Net command from Edit menu.

Is bug in ISE?

ISE14.7 (lin64) - P.20131013
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

This works fine, you just have to do it differently. Use the "Add net name" button at the edge of the schematic.

This opens a pane on the left side where you enter the name and then click on the net.

If you are trying to rename a net, it seems to check to prevent you from merging nets that you did not mean

to merge.

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

YES, this works!

big thanks! :-)

I found in settings: is possible define my own size of sheet! But no good for printing on the printer :-)
0 Kudos