Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Setting up clock wizard and simulation fails

Jump to solution

Hi,
here is a simple test project:
my ZedBoard has sys_clk=100Mhz and with the Clocking Wizard I generated a 10Mhz clock.

Then I just created a simulation file:

library IEEE;
use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.ALL;

entity clk_wiz_0_testbench is
end clk_wiz_0_testbench;

architecture Behavioral of clk_wiz_0_testbench is

component clk_wiz_0 is
port (    
clk_in1           : in     std_logic;
clk_out1          : out    std_logic;
reset             : in     std_logic;
locked            : out    std_logic);
end component;

signal clk_in1           : std_logic; --global input clock 100Mhz
signal reset           : std_logic;
signal clk_out1        : std_logic;
signal locked          : std_logic;

begin
uut: clk_wiz_0 port map(clk_in1=>clk_in1, clk_out1=>clk_out1, reset=>reset, locked=>locked);

clk_in1_proc: process
begin
    clk_in1 <= '1';
    wait for 5ns;
    clk_in1 <= '0';
    wait for 5ns;
end process;

reset_behav_proc: process
begin
    reset <= '1';
    wait for 200 ns;
    reset <= '0';
    wait;
end process;    
end Behavioral;

All I get is one spike after the reset and then the output clock remains low. See attached image.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you very much for helping.

Warm regards,
serdarrpf

simulation_clk_wiz_test.PNG
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee
Hi,

I can see that "locked" output of PLL/MMCM is not yet high.
run the simulation till this output gets high which indicates that PLL/MMCM is locked to specified output frequency.

Thanks,
Shryeas
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Try to search answer for your issue in forums or xilinx user guides before you post a new thread.

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided solves your query.
Give Kudos (star provided in right) to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee
Hi,

I can see that "locked" output of PLL/MMCM is not yet high.
run the simulation till this output gets high which indicates that PLL/MMCM is locked to specified output frequency.

Thanks,
Shryeas
Try to search answer for your issue in forums or xilinx user guides before you post a new thread.

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided solves your query.
Give Kudos (star provided in right) to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor
Ahh thank you. So do you think, it makes sense to wait transmitting my data until "locked" output is high?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee
Hi,
Yes, it always makes sense.
Lock output high ensures that the MMCM has achieved phase
alignment within a predefined window and frequency.
LOCKED will be de-asserted if the input clock stops or the phase
alignment is violated.
so it is always a good practice to rely upon this signal and wait till it gets high.

Thanks,
Shreyas

0 Kudos