Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
attiqrehman
Visitor
Visitor

Starting Design Runs (forever waiting....) Vivado 2016.4 and 2017.1

Dear all,

I am stuck with a strange issue its following:  Vivado stays for ever showing a dialog box (prompt) title " Starting Design Runs" with a line of text ' Completing preparation of all runs for launch' ... i am not able to find any relevant issue so far.

I have tried some of old working design on two different machines, initially it appeared with 2016.4 then i upgraded to 2017.1 still its the same ..... I attach the screen shot....

thanks for your time and advice.

cheers,

atttiq

vivado_issu.jpg
0 Kudos
13 Replies
bandi

Hi @attiqrehman,

Can you please share the vivado.log  file here to check.

Do you see the same behaviour while running example projects?

Regards,

Sravanthi B

Thanks & Regards,
Sravanthi B
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
attiqrehman
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks for replying.

The project  does not create vivado.log, or at least i can not find it in the same directory as the project *.xpr .

I have not tried example project, is there any you recommend for 2017.1 ?

Just now i had a clean install of 2017.1 (after removing, uninstall all ) still its the same issue .... i attach screen shot of project directory and the dialog prompt taking too long.....

Could it be something with Windows 7 updates , C++ libraries or any batch initializing from vivado ? // 

Both machines in the lab are of Win7 pro 64.

cheers,

Attiq

vivado_issu2.jpg
0 Kudos
attiqrehman
Visitor
Visitor

Hi again,

I tried with one of the example project (RTL+IP) it gives the same long waiting error as well. i attach the screen shot here.

thanks,

Attiq

exp_prj.png
0 Kudos
attiqrehman
Visitor
Visitor

Hi,

Probably i found the reason. I tried to run VLM to check licenses (netwrok floating), VLM  is taking way too long to find  as well and always looking for the licenses... can it be cause or its an affect ?

Regards,

Attiq

0 Kudos
prathikm

Hi @attiqrehman,

The log file should be here APPDATA%\Xilinx\Vivado directory. This will typically be a directory location similar to the followingC:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Xilinx\Vivado as Vivado.log as I see you are using Win7. Since by default, the vivado.jou and vivado.log files are created in the APPDATA%\Xilinx\Vivado directory.

If you do not find it there, in Vivado go to File> open log file> and in the log (this is the log) you will see where it is located.

log.PNG

Since the behavior is same with the example designs, this might be a machine specific issue. But it is difficult to conclude with the current information. This AR#56148 https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/56148.html might help.

Can you also please attach the environment report file and the synthesis runme.log?

Run report_environment -file C:/Users/<username>/Desktop/env.txt or any similar path as per your system.

For runme.log check AR#60011: https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/60011.html.

Regards,
Prathik
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helps to resolve your query.
Helpful answer -> Give Kudos
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
attiqrehman
Visitor
Visitor

Hi @prathikm@bandi

Thanks for your support.

I followed according to AR#56148 and later desperately generated node locked licence for my machine just to see it synthesizing :( but it still the same thought VLM shows valid licenses. 

Initially this machine was not showing valid licensee (floating ones) but later with generated ones it does. 

log file is pasted below for a lab project used many times....:-

#-----------------------------------------------------------
# Vivado v2016.4 (64-bit)
# SW Build 1756540 on Mon Jan 23 19:11:23 MST 2017
# IP Build 1755317 on Mon Jan 23 20:30:07 MST 2017
# Start of session at: Mon May 08 12:57:37 2017
# Process ID: 244
# Current directory: C:/Users/are033/AppData/Roaming/Xilinx/Vivado
# Command line: vivado.exe -gui_launcher_event rodinguilauncherevent9860
# Log file: C:/Users/are033/AppData/Roaming/Xilinx/Vivado/vivado.log
# Journal file: C:/Users/are033/AppData/Roaming/Xilinx/Vivado\vivado.jou
#-----------------------------------------------------------
start_gui
open_project D:/work/EDA/Xilinx/Arty/projects/Solutions/Lab2_solution/Arty/VHDL/uart_led/uart_led.xpr
Scanning sources...
Finished scanning sources
WARNING: [filemgmt 56-3] IP Repository Path: Could not find the directory 'D:/work/EDA/Xilinx/Arty/projects/Solutions/IP_Integrator/Arty/Verilog/ip_repository'.
INFO: [IP_Flow 19-234] Refreshing IP repositories
WARNING: [IP_Flow 19-2248] Failed to load user IP repository 'd:/work/EDA/Xilinx/Arty/projects/Solutions/IP_Integrator/Arty/Verilog/ip_repository'; Can't find the specified path.
If this directory should no longer be in your list of user repositories, go to the IP Settings dialog and remove it.
INFO: [IP_Flow 19-2313] Loaded Vivado IP repository 'F:/Xilinx/Vivado/2016.4/data/ip'.
WARNING: [IP_Flow 19-2162] IP 'rom' is locked:
* IP definition 'Block Memory Generator (8.2)' for IP 'rom' (customized with software release 2015.2) has a newer minor version in the IP Catalog.
Please select 'Report IP Status' from the 'Tools/Report' menu or run Tcl command 'report_ip_status' for more information.
upgrade_ip -srcset rom -vlnv xilinx.com:ip:blk_mem_gen:8.3 [get_ips rom] -log ip_upgrade.log
Upgrading 'rom'
INFO: [Project 1-386] Moving file 'D:/work/EDA/Xilinx/Arty/projects/Solutions/Lab2_solution/Arty/VHDL/uart_led/uart_led.srcs/sources_1/ip/rom/rom.xci' from fileset 'rom' to fileset 'sources_1'.
INFO: [Device 21-403] Loading part xc7a35ticsg324-1L
INFO: [IP_Flow 19-1972] Upgraded rom from Block Memory Generator 8.2 to Block Memory Generator 8.3
INFO: [IP_Flow 19-1686] Generating 'Instantiation Template' target for IP 'rom'...
INFO: [Coretcl 2-1525] Wrote upgrade log to 'D:/work/EDA/Xilinx/Arty/projects/Solutions/Lab2_solution/Arty/VHDL/uart_led/ip_upgrade.log'.
upgrade_ip: Time (s): cpu = 00:00:08 ; elapsed = 00:00:06 . Memory (MB): peak = 1018.387 ; gain = 157.332
export_ip_user_files -of_objects [get_ips rom] -no_script -sync -force -quiet
reset_run synth_1
WARNING: [Vivado 12-1017] Problems encountered:
1. Failed to delete one or more files in run directory D:/work/EDA/Xilinx/Arty/projects/Solutions/Lab2_solution/Arty/VHDL/uart_led/uart_led.runs/synth_1

launch_runs synth_1 -jobs 2
INFO: [IP_Flow 19-1686] Generating 'Synthesis' target for IP 'rom'...

Regards,

Attiq

vivado.png
0 Kudos
djmpap
Observer
Observer

I have this same problem - I've had it since Vivado came out.  I would love to know what the answer is.  The most annoying part is that I can't kill the process when it hangs like this, so the PC must be rebooted.  It's the same thing as reported above (from the Vivado log file):

WARNING: [Vivado 12-1017] Problems encountered:
1. Failed to delete one or more files in run directory D:/Hardware/GRA/Lithium/behv/Xilinx/lithium_eval/lithium_eval.runs/synth_1

I'm running Win7 64 bit, Vivado 2016.4, although I've seen this problem on every version.

0 Kudos
prathikm

Hi @attiqrehman,

You mentioned that this behavior is similar with the example designs you tried with Vivado, so this must be machine specific only.

Since you generated node locked and floating licenses, is the same behavior also seen with only node locked license enabled?

["log file is pasted below for a lab project used many times....:-"]

A complete log would help of the same run. Please refer my earlier post to generate report_environment file also.

Can you please try running this design in non - project mode/TCL mode?

Also try clearing the cache using 'Clear Cache' and 'Refresh' in bottom right of VLM.

Regards,
Prathik
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helps to resolve your query.

0 Kudos
attiqrehman
Visitor
Visitor

Hi @prathikm

Thanks for your time and support: I attach env.txt.

I had a clean installation of win7-64 bit and tried to install vivado 2017.1, at the end of installation it gave a warning / message.

I remember that this problem appeared after I have seen such message. I did not pay attention at that time about VC++ libraries , i might be wrong but to me it seems its related some how...  when i check program installed on these machine lates of VC++ libraries has been installed even before vivado is installed....

regards,

Attiq

vivado_installation_error.png
0 Kudos
attiqrehman
Visitor
Visitor

Just one more point will help:-

what was the solution for this issue?

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Synthesis/Synthesis-runs-forever-Vivado-2016-3-amp-Vivado-2016-4/td-p/742650

0 Kudos
prathikm

Hi @attiqrehman,

Try Running the Visual C++ redistribution exe located at:

<installpath>\tps\win64\vcredist_x64.exe typically: C:\Xilinx\Vivado\Vivado\2017.1\tps\win64 and reboot the PC.

If possible try disabling the firewall as well before install.

Regarding the link, I think he mentions reinstalling a clean Windows.

Regards,
Prathik

0 Kudos
attiqrehman
Visitor
Visitor

Hi @prathikm

Thanks for prompt reply, ".../../vcredist_x64.exe" has two option "Repair / Uninstall" I ran with repair + reboot but no effect :(

is it the right way ... ?

cheers,

Attiq

0 Kudos
prathikm

Hi @attiqrehman,

Can you please raise a Service Request from here for this issue? 

https://www.xilinx.com/support.html.

Please contact your FAE representative for this in case you have issues filing an SR.

Regards,
Prathik

0 Kudos