UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor bigposs
Visitor

Support for an old xc4000e device

Hi, I need to support an old xc4013e device. We've won a contract to upgrade a design to a new FPGA, but first we have to prove the vhdl files given to us are the correct ones. I know ise 4.2i will support the xc4000e family, but this is edif only, no VHDL. I've checked out 3rd party suppliers, mentor graphics etc, but non of them have tools sets to support this device. Does any body have any thoughts to how I can synth a vhdl design for an xc4013e?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Instructor
Instructor

Re: Support for an old xc4000e device

You could always find someone who still has a running copy of the 4.2 or older tools (I have

Foundation 4.1i with a license for VHDL / Verilog) and contract out the test.  What are you

trying to accomplish?  If you need to be sure that the binaries for the old parts match the

VHDL, even having the same tools won't help unless you have all of the settings used

to generate the original bit files.  If you just want to show that the VHDL you have runs

in the older parts, perhaps you could build an EDIF netlist with some newer tools and

generate the bit file from that with the older ISE.

Regards,

Gabor

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Visitor bigposs
Visitor

Hi Gabor, We're trying to prove the functionailty of the source code be for moving the design to a new FPGA. Its not a high speed design, or time cirtical, or even complicated It more for the customer, so that they can be sure that the code they have is what they think it is (version control wasn't so hot in the days this was done). we don't have to compare the orginal bit file, we have a working unit that we can test on.

Thanks for the advise, I'll give the EDIF / old ISE route ago.

Regards, 

Stephen

0 Kudos
Visitor bigposs
Visitor

Hi, how do I generate an edif from with in ISE? I can't seem to find the right options, having never need to generater an edif before

Stephen

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I'm not familiar with these older tools, but I presume it has to be an EDIF to work with ISE 4.2i.  You can use XST to generate an NGC netlist and then use ngc2edif to convert this to an EDIF netlist.  Hope this helps.
0 Kudos