cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Top module setting lost

I observe the following project database corruption by Vivado (2014.2, win7 x64).

Every time I open the project in Vivado, I get  "Invalid Top module" dialog showing up.

Top module 'cwtop' is currently invalid in sim_1. What would you like to do?

I dutyfully fill the only choice found and the project opens. This is a nuisance but it is not that bad.

The real problem comes if I open the project with synth/implementation results ready.

The implementation run is out-of-date. I can force it up-to-date but when I try to open the

implemented design, I get the following message:

ERROR: [Project 1-9] Cannot open structural netlist because no structural source files were specified. Edif, ngc ngo and verilog structural netlists are supported.

Now, this is CATASTROPHIC!!!
It means I cannot keep my results inside a project any longer. I have to rerun implementation (40min!!!)
every time the project is reopened!

Any idea where the top level definition is lost inside project database?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Top module setting lost

Hi,

Is this RTL or post synthesis project?

Are the project files located on local disk?

Can you try opening _routed.dcp located in .runs-->impl_1 location and see if that opens once you see the error.

Thanks,
Deepika
Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Move the design directory to the desktop or any path where the design path name is small and try. Sometimes due to the long path name, the design file might not get added.

You can also check the property of that top module (in the property window)after adding to make sure, it is valid for both implementation and simulation.

Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Just to add,

See if the top module name specified in the project settings matches with that of the top module.

This kind of issue was reported earlier when the "top module name" in the project settings was in capital letters but in the RTL it was in small letters.

Untitled.png

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Deepika,

All my modules names are in smallcaps everywhere, there shouldn't be any problems here. 

Project is on local disk and hierarchy is not that long, just one level before project root.

Opening routed dcp seems to work:

open cwtop_routed.dcp
file4cf4300

Now, what can I do with it? What is the way to restore impl run results?

Thank you for help,

Dmitriy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @dmgusev 

We recently saw similar issue when using incremental flow. Are you using incremental flow?

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I saw this problem while using incremental flow. Any ideas on fixes available?

Thx

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Ok, so looks like the similar issue.

The issue which I mentioned about will be fixed in 2014.3. 2014.3 is scheduled for release in 2nd week of october.

Thanks,
Deepika.
Thanks,
Deepika.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @dmgusev 

Vivado 2014.3 has been released today.

Please check this issue in Vivado 2014.3 and let me know if you still see the problem.

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately, i met the same problem with vivado2015.4.1, i run my project on our server(ubuntu14.04.2), when i tried to archive the project, copyed to my local machine(win7,64bit) and tested with xilinx debug tool, the moment i opened the project, it's reported invaild top module,

[Common 17-9] Error reading message records

and even i found the top file(*.sv) in the project directory, i cannot assign it as top, also i cannot import the source file directory to the project, only constrains(*.xdc files) are listed in Project Manager -> Source -> Hierarchy,   actaully, when i closed and reopen the project in my server(ubuntu 14.04.2), the same problem came out.

any idea about this issue?

0 Kudos