UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

UART data is getting currepted when RX line is reconnected

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I am trying to do a custom UART - RX module in VHDL. I am able to receive the data sent from PC.

But my problem is when RX wire is disconnected and re-connected my data will be erroneous

In my current logic, I didnt add any error control mechanism. What could be the possible ways of doing the same? 

How can I detect that my cable is reconnected so that I can set my FSM to a default or reset state? FSM is attached in the image. 

Thanks & Regards,

Reshma 

Tags (4)
uart_rx_fsm.JPG
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: UART data is getting currepted when RX line is reconnected

Jump to solution

@reshmaakhil 

…we should start the timer if start bit is not detected, Isn't it?

You should start the timeout-timer in the idle-state as soon as the start-bit is detected  - and then stop the timeout-timer after a full data-packet (start-bit + data-bits + parity-bit + stop-bits) is received and just before returning to the idle-state.  The timeout timer prevents getting stuck in states (other than the idle-state) of the state machine.  You should set the timeout to be a little longer than the time it takes to receive one data-packet.   

As dgisselq says, if something happens (ie. you disconnect line or timeout occurs) in the middle of a stream of data packets, then it is difficult to recover (unless there is a big time-gap between data-packets).   However, if the stream of data-packets ends and there is a long time-gap(no-data period), then your state machine will end up correctly waiting in the idle state for the first start-bit of the next stream of data-packets.

Mark

10 Replies

Jump to solution

Reshma,

-try using a timeout timer.  That is, write a VHDL process that, when triggered, will count down from some constant value to zero and then raise a time-out flag.

Then, in the VHDL process that implements your FSM, the IDLE state should trigger the timeout timer when a start bit is detected on the RX wire. If the IDLE state does not detect the start bit then it turns off the timeout timer.  Also in this VHDL process, write new code that checks the timeout flag before allowing control to enter the FSM. If the new code finds that the timeout flag is set, then it clears the flag and tells the FSM to return to the IDLE state.

Mark

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi markg@prosensing.com ,

Thanks for your reply. 

But I didnt get it properly. I will describe the logic to be implemented as per your suggestion. Please correct me if I am wrong.

• A timer will be running - which triggers when a start bit is detected on RXD
  • New control logic for FSM - Checks control flag before allowing control to FSM. If flag is set, it will be cleared and FSM will return to IDLE state.  -  This section is not clear to me

Could you please give more clarity?

Thnaks & Regards,

Reshma  

0 Kudos
Scholar dgisselq
Scholar

Jump to solution

@reshmaakhil,

UART doesn't really have any good error control mechanisms.  That said, there are two things you might consider using:

1. The UART protocol includes a "break condition" defined by the serial port being held low (0) for an extended period of time.  I can never remember exactly how long this is, but it is certainly longer than a typical byte transmission.  If you disconnect your serial port, the wire should go low like this.  You should be able to detect the problem on entry (a start bit with no corresponding stop bit 8-bits later), but this doesn't help so much when plugging the cable in later and the line "bouncees".
  2. The serial protocol also offers "parity".  You might be able to implement either odd or even parity to help reject some of this noise.  In practice, however, you'll find that most serial ports just suck up the noise and report bad data rather than using the parity bit.

After those two, if you are still having problems, then you may need to get fancy.

1. You could check/verify that the serial port "bits" don't change mid-baud,  and if they do reject any bytes received
  2. You could check that you only receive whole (or nearly whole) stop bits--or even two-stop bit periods in a row if using an extra stop bit.

These last two only sort of match the serial protocol, but they might match good enough for you to be successful trying them.

Just my thoughts,

Dan

Jump to solution

@reshmaakhil 

The VHDL snippets below shows key concepts of the timeout timer approach.  Note how run_timer is used to start and stop the timeout timer and to clear the flag, timeout.

type state_type1 is (IDLE,s_RX_START,s_RX_Data,....);
signal my_state : state_type1;
signal CLK, RST, run_timer, timeout : std_logic;
--        
P1: process(CLK)                      --timeout timer
constant CNTRMAX : integer := 10000;
variable cntr  : integer range 0 to CNTRMAX;	          
begin 
    if rising_edge(CLK) then        
        if(run_timer = '0') then         
            cntr := CNTRMAX;
            timeout <= '0';         
        else  
            if(cntr = 0) then     
                timeout <= '1'; 
            else      
                cntr := cntr - 1;
                timeout <= '0';                               
            end if;
        end if;
    end if;    	
end process P1;

P2: process(RST,CLK)                 --Reshma FSM
begin        
    if rising_edge(CLK) then  
        if ((RST = '1') or (timeout = '1')) then                        
            run_timer <= '0';                                                                   
            my_state <= IDLE;     
        else
            case my_state is                    
                when IDLE =>  
                    if (start_bit = '1') then   --start bit detected?
                        run_timer <= '1'; 
                        my_state <= s_RX_START; 
                    else                    
                        run_timer <= '0'; 
                        my_state <= IDLE;
                    end if;

when s_RX_START =>
                when s_RX_Data =>
            end case;
        end if;     
    end if;        
end process P2;

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi,

@dgisselq ,

Thanks for the inputs. 

I will check these points.

Regards,

Reshma 

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi markg@prosensing.com ,

Thanks for your kind support.

I missed the point.

if ((RST = '1') or (timeout = '1')) then
                run_timer <= '0';
               my_state <= IDLE;

Now the logic is almost clear. I will try to implement the same & update the results .

Regards,

Reshma

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi markg@prosensing.com ,

While trying to implement this logic I got a doubt.
actually we should start the timer if start bit is not detected, Isn't it? if we are starting the timer after detecting the bit then in between the FSM may go to idle state.
Please correct me if my idea is wrong.

Regards,
Reshma

0 Kudos
Scholar dgisselq
Scholar

Jump to solution

@reshmaakhil,

No, sorry, you can't start a timer if the start bit is *not* detected.  Or rather, you could, but I think you'd be disappointed by the result.  Not seeing a start bit is a valid condition simply indicating a that there's no data to be sent.

It would make more sense to start a timer when detecting the start bit (could also happen if a cable were unplugged), and use that timer to determine if/when the stop bit was detected.  If no stop bit was detected, then you can infer the cable is unplugged--or perhaps something else that has gone wrong.

Don't forget ... electronics tend to "bounce" when getting plugged in or unplugged.  The UART protocol wasn't really designed to handle this.

The more traditional solution to this problem would be to packetize the interface, and place a CRC at the end of every packet.  You'd then need a way to identify the beginnings of the various packets, as well as calculating the CRCs to know if a packet matched or not, but it's quite doable.  Indeed, this is the type of processing done by many networks, and the old SLIP protocol (IIRC) did just that in order to send network packets over a serial port--even in the presence of your significant other picking up the phone line mid-ftp.

Dan

Jump to solution

@reshmaakhil 

…we should start the timer if start bit is not detected, Isn't it?

You should start the timeout-timer in the idle-state as soon as the start-bit is detected  - and then stop the timeout-timer after a full data-packet (start-bit + data-bits + parity-bit + stop-bits) is received and just before returning to the idle-state.  The timeout timer prevents getting stuck in states (other than the idle-state) of the state machine.  You should set the timeout to be a little longer than the time it takes to receive one data-packet.   

As dgisselq says, if something happens (ie. you disconnect line or timeout occurs) in the middle of a stream of data packets, then it is difficult to recover (unless there is a big time-gap between data-packets).   However, if the stream of data-packets ends and there is a long time-gap(no-data period), then your state machine will end up correctly waiting in the idle state for the first start-bit of the next stream of data-packets.

Mark

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi,

Its working now.
Thanks for the support markg@prosensing.com  and @dgisselq . 

Regards,

Reshma 

0 Kudos