UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Use of IP Packager in Vivado

Jump to solution

I am puzzled about the correct use of the "Create and Package IP" tool in Vivado 2014.2.  Here's what I did.

I created a Verilog design which I then wanted to make an AXI-Lite peripheral of.  I followed the IP Packager Wizard, adding source files, and went through synthesis and implementation successfully.  But when I then instantiated that new peripheral in a block design, the tools could not find much of the Verilog, even though it was there in the directory structure.

The new peripheral was created in ..\ip_repo\periph_name.  Under this there are two directories, /hdl and /src.  The code which the system could not find were in /src.  Finally I moved them from /src to /hdl, and now the system can find them, but it seems to also have copied them back to /hdl.  I can now compile my block design, but I don't like having two copies of source files, and am trying to understand how this is supposed to be done.

Also, the .xdc constraints file that I added during the IP packing process is nowhere to be found.  I will add it manually, but I fear I'm doing something wrong here.

Can anybody school me?

Thanks,

Rick

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Use of IP Packager in Vivado

Jump to solution
Hi,
Here is the tutorial which will detail the IP packager usage.
http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2014_2/ug939-vivado-designing-with-ip-tutorial.pdf
Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Scholar muravin
Scholar

Jump to solution

Rick,

When we package an IP,  we normally choose "Package a Specified Directory", except the cases when we add a general-purpose module, in which case this is a "Packager as a Library Core".

If you follow "Package a Specified Directory", normally the IP packager would add sources from all directories under the directory you pick.

Furthermore, after the IP has been created, you can manually add the RTL files to the IP Packager project, and/or to the File Group, which is what tells the main project about the IP's sources.

Hope this helps

Vlad

Vladislav Muravin
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Hi,
Here is the tutorial which will detail the IP packager usage.
http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2014_2/ug939-vivado-designing-with-ip-tutorial.pdf
Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Thanks, that helped, it seems to make sense now.

Rick

0 Kudos