UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

VHDL : is it ok to 'alias' S_AXI_ACLK and S_AXI_ARESETN inside a custom IP?

Maybe a basic question about VHDL, but I read some comments against using 'alias' in VHDL, so :

When designing a custom AXI4-Lite IP using the templates generated by the 'create new IP wizard', I prefer to 'alias' some of the axi signals as follows :

alias clock is S_AXI_ACLK;
alias reset_n is S_AXI_ARESETN;

From there on, I can just use 'clock' and 'reset' in any process sensitivity list, rising_edge(clock), and so on ... much more readable than S_AXI_ACLK.

If I would just rename S_AXI_ACLK to 'clock', the IP packager wouldn't recognize the group of AXI signals anymore as an AXI bus. Same for the reset signal.

Question : is there any disadvantage on using aliases in this way (synthesis & simulation wise)? 

also at the same time a create a 'positive' reset signal for use in my vhdl code :

signal reset : std_logic;

begin
    reset <= not reset_n;

In my Zynq (IPI) design, the S_AXI_RESETN signal of the custom IP comes from a Processor System Reset block (peripheral_aresetn output). 

Question : to have this positive reset available in the custom IP, would it be better to add an extra input to the IP, and use the positive reset output 'peripheral_reset' directly from the Processor System Reset block, instead of adding the inverter in my custom IP? (besides maybe wasting the inverter, but I find that neglectable).

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Re: VHDL : is it ok to 'alias' S_AXI_ACLK and S_AXI_ARESETN inside a custom IP?

* I am not sure if alias is supported by Vivado synthesis. I think you can easily declare another signal and assign to it instead of alias. The basic idea of renaming a signal is OK.

* I think BD automation is smart enough to connect axi_reset to peripheral_reset so it should be OK to do this. But not as an extra input (in addition to axi_reset_n) but instead.

One suggestion is that you really don't have to name your interfaces this way. You can always create them (semi-)manually if IP packager doesn't detect them. Actually you can rename them in any way you want and make them into interfaces in packager.
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

Hello @muzaffer

I tried the alias, and it is supported. 

using assignment sounds indeed obvious, however when you do this with a clock, you can run into the most strangest simulation results, as the assignment adds a (simulation) delta-delay to the clock on the left side of the assignment, which results in 2 different simulated clocks.

You can see an example of that in another post of me here. It's due the way simulators work. Note that in the synthesized design this will most likely work, while it doesn't work in the simulation ... I learned from this issue that it is extremely important to understand how a simulator actually handles concurrency with delta delays.

For a regular signal the assignment is probably less of a problem in a synchronous design (?).

so the above issue is why I switched to using 'alias' instead of assignment. But I'm wondering if there is any other negative effect of doing so.

thanks for the tip on the interface naming - didn't try that : so I must manually add the 'renamed' axi clock signal to the axi interface? 

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

In VIvado

First you need to generate the init.tcl file which is executed when starting Vivado. The TCL initialization script init.tcl file can be stored at two different locations:
1. In the software installation: <installdir>/Vivado/version/scripts/init.tcl
2. In the local user directory:
For Windows 7: %APPDATA%/Roaming/Xilinx/Vivado/init.tcl
For Linux: $HOME/.Xilinx/Vivado/init.tcl
An example for an init.tcl script including alias commands is shown below.

#
# My personal setup for vivado
#
interp alias {} h {} history
interp alias {} rts {} report_timing_summary
interp alias {} rtp {} report_timing -path_type full_clock_expanded -input_pins -nets
interp alias {} so {} select_objects
#
history keep 100
#

# EOF

check this link as well
http://www.xilinx.com/itp/xilinx10/isehelp/ism_r_vhdlang_a_m.htm
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos