Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
norbertreifschneider
Contributor
Contributor

VIVADO auto syntax check

Hi,

does anyone know how to switch off the auto syntax check in VIVADO?

If I have larger files (VHDL for example), my system stucks for several seconds (up to 10!!) after each mouse click and/or insertion of copied text. If I watch the resource monitor, there is no activity on the hard drive or the CPU.

Since the time the system stucks is related to the size of the files, I suspect the auto syntax check tool to be the reason. The system is a I7 with 12 cores and 32 GB RAM, so this should not be a problem.

Regards

Norbert

0 Kudos
5 Replies
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

Ouch

thats terrible time to wait,

Personally, I dont edit in the Vivado tool, I use UltraEdit of Notepad++ depending upon the company Im working for,

But even so, I'd have thought others wold have noted this sort of problem, which I don't see on the forums, 

This makes me think ( Occams razor ) that its your system settings.

I have seen terrible speeds when

a) Files are not local to the PC, but on a network / broadband link,

b) Virus checker is having a field day 

c) the dreaded virus 

d) The even more dreaded failing rotating rust drive

e) a change being copied to many files 

Suggestion, that you look at the process monitor whilst as you experience the problem,

is CPU, fie IO or network running at a high level ?

Out of interest

which version of Vivado, date and is it free or the paid version

which OS, version and patches 

what is the actual processor, the i7 has been around a long time, and the original ones are now looking long in tooth.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
norbertreifschneider
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

thanks for your reply. Here some more infos (see system info attached).

Avira Antivir removed, only Windows Defender active.

HD: 2 x 1 TB Samsung NVMe SSD, all files affected are located on these drives. Drive 0 is brand new since we first suspected it to cause the problems.

When I run the sys monitor for some time while working with VIVADO having the problems described, the recorded loads do not show any abnormal activity, CPU < 5 %, no high HDD activity or network load, no peaks at all.

When the system stucks, I can still move the mouse cursor but all other activity is frozen.

The effects are different to those of a system under heavy load. There is no slowing down or juddering cursor as usual under such conditions. The system works fine up to a specific action, mostly pressing enter or inserting copied text. Then the system freezes completely, running fine afterwards again.

Regards

Norbert

SysInfo.png
0 Kudos
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

The only bit that looks different  to other installs I have seen is the Windows Feature Experience Pack, 

I doubt this has been tested by Xilinx.

A thought

Are you on the W10 beta test release ?

As you have the feature pack, are you a regular installer / remover of programs / Apps

its a long one, but uninstall the feature pack, and look at doing a in situe restore of windows, 

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
pgigliotti_usac
Explorer
Explorer

Has anyone been able to tell you how to turn it off.  I am running into the same issue.  As the size has gotten larger, and the number of files has increased, the editor becomes more and more sluggish, and freezes for tens of seconds when it encounters errors, and becomes totally unusable. Yes, other editors are out there,  but I like the enviroment otherwise, and have become comfortable with it, and would prefer not to change.

0 Kudos
maps-mpls
Mentor
Mentor

I recommend using a third party editor.   But to answer your question:

Or, you can go to Flow Navigator > Project Manager > Settings > Text Editor > Syntax Checking

maps-mpls_0-1619369450491.png

And Flow Navigator > Project Manager > Settings > Code Completion

maps-mpls_1-1619369525371.png

*** Destination: Rapid design and development cycles ***