Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Virtual I/O -> how to insert and use?

Hello,

How can I insert the Virtual I/O for debugging of the FPGA using Vivado v2016?

If I insert the ILA (Integrated Logic Analyzer), will the VIO be inserted automatically for the same signals? How to define values for VIOs?

What's the UserGuide or Tutorial explains the VIO usage? I searched the youtube tutorials, but found videos for ILA usage only.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Virtual I/O -> how to insert and use?

Hi @dmitry1417

Here is a tutorial on VIO (Lab-3): https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2016_3/ug936-vivado-tutorial-programming-debugging.pdf

Thanks,

Vinay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @dmitry1417,

Below are the answers to your questions:

How can I insert the Virtual I/O for debugging of the FPGA using Vivado v2016?

You can only use core instantiation method for VIO. Currently we do not have netlist insertion method for VIO as we have for ILA.

If I insert the ILA (Integrated Logic Analyzer), will the VIO be inserted automatically for the same signals?

No. ILA and VIO are different IPs. So inserting ILA does not mean VIO will be inserted automatically.

How to define values for VIOs?

Output of VIO should be i/p to the logic you want to drive and i/p to the VIO is the signals you want to debug. So you can set the values for o/p of VIO. While generating VIO you will get an option to set the initial value. After programming .bit and .ltx file you will get a dashboard for VIO as you are getting for ILA. In the VIO dashboard, you can set/toggle the o/p of the VIO signals.

What's the UserGuide or Tutorial explains the VIO usage? I searched the youtube tutorials, but found videos for ILA usage only.

Please go through page-177 onwards on usage of VIO https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2016_3/ug908-vivado-programming-debugging.pdf

Tutorial for VIO is lab-3(page-28) of https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2016_3/ug936-vivado-tutorial-programming-debugging.pdf

Thanks,
Arpan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @dmitry1417,

Is your query addressed?

Thanks,
Arpan
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos