UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Vivado 2017.3 crashes when opening a project

I've recently moved to 2017.3 from 2016.4. Never had this problem before. The tool quietly crashes at the final stages of opening a project. Just tried opening an example project with the same result. Upgrade to 2017.3.1 hasn't changed anything either. The OS is Windows 7. Please help. Thanks.

I have attached logs and the crash dump file.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Vivado 2017.3 crashes when opening a project

check this ARs it may help you
https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/55854.html

Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos

@mmatusov, does the crash also occur if you open an example project? Are you able to submit the project_ignore design to see if I can reproduce the crash locally?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos

Hello @mmatusov,

To me, this seems related to JAVA, as I've seen other users seeing a similar issue in the past, which was also happening on Win OS.

While trying out the below, can you please share your Xinfo report (generated on the machine where you are seeing this issue).

Xinfo.txt can be generated by running the "report_environment –file xinfo.txt" command in Vivado TCL console.

Can you please try the below steps and see if Vivado still crashes or not:

• Open a windows command prompt and set your PATH to something different as to what it is currently set, i.e. basically clear it (please note that you are not clearing it “globally” on this PC, but only clearing this within this command prompt) 

e.g.

set path=

(see my screenshot as an example) 

• Check that the PATH is now not set to anything and you can do this by typing path as the command and this should return PATH=<null>, as can be seen in my screenshot below
  • Then CD to the location such as \Xilinx\Vivado\2017.3
  • Run settings64.bat
  • Now PATH should be set to point to all of the Vivado 2017.x related directories (see my screenshot as an example)
  • Within the same command prompt, navigate to any directory with full read and right permissions and then from this location open Vivado by running this command: vivado
  • Once Vivado opens, try your test again and see if the Vivado GUI crashes then or not and let us know the output please.

If it is not crashing this time, I will then ask you to try something else that should (in my opinion) fix this issue “globally” on this PC. Well, we can try this then if the above steps work for you.

Kind Regards,

Anatoli

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

@peadard wrote:

@mmatusov, does the crash also occur if you open an example project? Are you able to submit the project_ignore design to see if I can reproduce the crash locally?

Yes, the crash doesn't depend on the project. I found however that the tool doesn't crash if I start it after rebooting the PC. 

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hi @anatoli,

Thank you for the detailed instructions. The idea that it is Java related sounds plausible. I have a feeling that it has something to do with me having DocNav and Acrobat reader opened. As I have mentioned in another reply the tool doesn't crash if I open it after rebooting my PC. I need to get it into the bad state before I can try your suggestions.

Thanks,

/Mikhail

0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm facing the same issue. Vivado crashes without any error while opening a project.

I started with 2016.4, which crashed after an hour of work or so.

Switched to 2017.1 and worked a couple of days.

Then created a new project, which got 2017.1 to crash during project open.

Updated to 2017.3, and still cannot open the project.

Uprgraded to 2017.3.1, and still cannot open the project.

Started the Vivado crom cmd.exe command prompt, with empty path method. Still crashes.

Br, -Topi

0 Kudos

Hello @topi-procemex,

What OS is this behavior seen on?

Also, please read this https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/55854.html article and provide the necessary files, so that these can be reviewed by Xilinx Software development team. Thanks.

Can you also please share your Xinfo report (generated on the machine where you are seeing this issue).

Xinfo.txt can be generated by running the "report_environment –file xinfo.txt" command in Vivado TCL console.

Would you be able to try the steps provided in my previous reply that i've suggested to another user in this forum thread? Let us know what output you'd get after trying these out. Thanks.

Anatoli

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
Explorer
Explorer

Hi @anatoli,

I had another Vivado crash, at this time while I was playing with the byte planner or IO planner. The hs_err_pidxxxxx.log file created during the crash (attached) clearly points to a Java problem. So, I thought I'd try your suggested steps. I cleared the path, ran settings64, etc., but when I tried running vivado command I got the following error:

Screenshot - 20-Dec-2017 , 6_00_23 PM.png

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

/Mikhail

0 Kudos

Hello @mmatusov,

This message indicating that the Microsoft V++ redistributable (vcredist) libraries are not found or could not be run.

Please refer to this AR - https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/69076.html

Can you please try setting the System Environment Variable XIL_PA_NO_REDIST_CHECK to 1 and logging out and logging in and then see if you can overcome this issue that way?

The problem seems to be xvcredist.exe. It is called by loader.bat.

It seems a check for the Visual C++ runtime (xvcredist -check) is not working correctly so loader is attempting to install it. So setting XIL_PA_NO_REDIST_CHECK to 1 should work for you. If not, please let us know.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Anatoli

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hi @anatoli,

According to the AR #69076:

• When correctly installed by Vivado, the vcredist DLL libraries should exist under the C:\Windows\System32 directory
  • There will also be a copy of the 2015 vcredist DLLs under <Install Path>\bin\unwrapped\win64.o\Microsoft.VC140.CRT (for example, C:\Xilinx\.xinstall\Vivado_2017.1\bin\unwrapped\win64.o\Microsoft.VC140.CRT)

In my case there is a copy of api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll where it should be but it is not found in the System32 directory. I compared the two directories and it seems that in general System32 contains an older version of these libraries.

Should I still try setting XIL_PA_NO_REDIST_CHECK to 1? Or should I somehow re-install the libraries? How? 

Thanks,

/Mikhail

0 Kudos

Hello @mmatusov,

To me, it looks like you need to re-install your redistributables. Can you please obtain the redistributables from Microsoft

link below and installed this on this machine and see the behavior then::

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

To me it looks like C:\windows\system32; folder isn't added/inlcuded in the PATH environment variable and that is why Vivado can't detect the location of this file.

Therefore, can you also please double check that this is included in the PATH under the "System Variables" section, as shown in my example screenshot below?

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Anatoli

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
Forum_12.png
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hello again @anatoli,

There are two packages there:  vc_redist.x64.exe and vc_redist.x86.exe. Not sure which one I need. When I tried installing the former, it complained that I already have this product and suggested that I'd remove it first through Add/Remove program. I looked what I have there and found that the version I have is newer! I don't understand how it could be but I've decided to leave it alone for now. Then I tried installing vc_redist.x86.exe. At first it seemed as it would work but the process ended with an unexpected error. What a mess!  

With regards to the path, it is there. Perhaps it wasn't there in a particular cmd instance when I cleaned the path and ran the vivado batch file as you suggested in one the first posts. 

/MIkhail

0 Kudos

OK, @mmatusov, thanks for letting me know. Now please try bypassing the vcredist check by setting XIL_PA_NO_REDIST_CHECK to 1 and then see if the behavior is the same or not.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Anatoli

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

@anatoli, while trying to install Microsoft redistributables I have figured that I probably needed to install Windows updates. By the way I am running Win 7. The system is now up to date but it didn't fix the problem with redistributables. I tried repeating the steps with runing Vivado from command line and got the same error about missing library. I then tried setting XIL_PA_NO_REDIST_CHECK  to 1 from the same command line and ran vivado again. Same error again...

0 Kudos

Hello @mmatusov,

Do you see the same issue using the latest Vivado 2017.4 release?

If so, can you please share your latest hs_err_pidxxxx.log - The hs_err_pid####.log file does get created when any Vivado crash occurs. This is normally located in your PWD location.

Also please send us your Xilinx System Information report (generate on the PC where this issue is seen). This can be obtained by running "report_environment -file sytem_info.txt" in the Vivado Tcl Console. Thanks

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Hi @anatoli,

2017.4 seems to be working without crashing so far... 

Thanks,

/Mikhail

0 Kudos
Visitor tobi1990
Visitor

Re: Vivado 2017.1 crashes when opening a project

Hello,

after loading a project vivado crashes. Same problem with 2017.1 and 2018.1 and it does not matter what project is loaded.
After reinstalling vivado --> same problem
enviroment Path also set with settings64.bat

please see attached report files.

regards

0 Kudos