Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Vivado 2017.4 Application Exception: addRun: Flow cannot support this run type

Jump to solution

I'm getting the following error when attempting to open a project in Vivado 2017.4. Other projects currently open without error, but this project does not open.

[Common 17-70] Application Exception: addRun: Flow cannot support this run type

What does this error message mean?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I have not seen this before.

It kind of sounds like a run in the .xpr file has been corrupted.

If you open your .xpr file in a test editor, there is a Runs section.  I'd go to that section and see if any of the runs look like they have strange characters or missing information.

Ad run definition should look something like the following

<Run Id="synth_1" Type="Ft3:Synth" SrcSet="sources_1" Part="xc7k70tfbg484-2" ConstrsSet="constrs_1" Description="" WriteIncrSynthDcp="false" State="current" Dir="$PRUNDIR/synth_1" IncludeInArchive="true">
      <Strategy Version="1" Minor="2">
        <StratHandle Name="OOC_with_defaults" Flow="Vivado Synthesis 2017"/>
        <Step Id="synth_design"/>
      </Strategy>
      <GeneratedRun Dir="$PRUNDIR" File="gen_run.xml"/>
      <ReportStrategy Name="Vivado Synthesis Default Reports" Flow="Vivado Synthesis 2017"/>
      <Report Name="ROUTE_DESIGN.REPORT_METHODOLOGY" Enabled="1"/>
    </Run>

Something you might want to do is make a backup of the .xpr file and then delete runs one at a time and try to open the project.  It is likely only one run that is corrupt, if that is indeed the issue.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I have not seen this before.

It kind of sounds like a run in the .xpr file has been corrupted.

If you open your .xpr file in a test editor, there is a Runs section.  I'd go to that section and see if any of the runs look like they have strange characters or missing information.

Ad run definition should look something like the following

<Run Id="synth_1" Type="Ft3:Synth" SrcSet="sources_1" Part="xc7k70tfbg484-2" ConstrsSet="constrs_1" Description="" WriteIncrSynthDcp="false" State="current" Dir="$PRUNDIR/synth_1" IncludeInArchive="true">
        <StratHandle Name="OOC_with_defaults" Flow="Vivado Synthesis 2017"/>
      </Strategy>
      <GeneratedRun Dir="$PRUNDIR" File="gen_run.xml"/>
      <ReportStrategy Name="Vivado Synthesis Default Reports" Flow="Vivado Synthesis 2017"/>
    </Run>

Something you might want to do is make a backup of the .xpr file and then delete runs one at a time and try to open the project.  It is likely only one run that is corrupt, if that is indeed the issue.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

That worked perfectly; I went through a copy of the .xpr and deleted the runs one by one, and found the issue: there were two runs with the same ID impl_1, although one of the implementation runs looks like a duplicate of the synth_1 run:

<Run Id="impl_1" Type="Ft2:EntireDesign" Part="xc7s50csga324-1" ConstrsSet="constrs_1" Description="Default settings for Implementation." WriteIncrSynthDcp="false" State="current" Dir="$PRUNDIR/impl_1" SynthRun="synth_1" IncludeInArchive="true">
        <StratHandle Name="Vivado Synthesis Defaults" Flow="Vivado Synthesis 2017"/>
      </Strategy>
    </Run>

Do you have any idea where this could have originated?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

No, I'm not sure how the project would have got to this state.  The most likely thing I can think of is some sort of failure while the project file was being updated.

0 Kudos