UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Vivado 2017.4 RTL Elaborated Design Crash

Highlighted
Visitor

Vivado 2017.4 RTL Elaborated Design Crash

Hi everybody,

I've been having problems with this software whenever i want to see the RTL schematic of a design. When i try to open the elaborated design, occurs always a crash, but there are no problems with running the Synthesis and Implementation schematics. This crash is not design specific and is repeatable. I've already reinstalled Vivado and changed my OS from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and the problems remained.

My device specs are:

Windows 10 Home 1709 version 64-bit

Intel Core i7-4510U

8GB RAM installed

To provide a better understanding of this situation i send attached the available .log, .str, .debug and .dmp files. Since there is no problem with Synthesis and Implementation, there are no hs_err .dmp and .log files to report.

Re: Vivado 2017.4 RTL Elaborated Design Crash

Hi @_reis220,

Vivado had issues running with 1709 Win10 Falls update (AR#69908). Maybe this is causing the problem. Do you see crash while opening elaborated schematics in example designs as well? If not, please share the test-case so that we can analyze and report it to factory. Also try working on the same scenario with Vivado 2018.1 i.e. opening the elaborated schematic of the same design.

Regards,
Prathik
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the appropriate post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helps to resolve your query.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visitor

Hi, thanks for your reply

The crash isn't design specific. I'll try to install Vivado 2018.1 to see if the problem remains. When i had Windows 8.1, the crash happened too.

Visitor

The problem remains with new version of Vivado (Vivado 2018.1). Any recommendations?

Hi @_reis220,

Thanks for your reply. I am moving this to Install board as the crash looks specific to environment setup/OS and not design/synthesis. From what I see, it should be best to try the same initially in Win10 professional OS (link v2018.1 page.no.17) as recommended in UG973 and AR#54242. I do not think Win8.1 is supported either by tool 2017.4 and 2018.1 from the above links.

Regards,
Prathik
Please mark the appropriate post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helps to resolve your query.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Visitor

Hi @prathikm,

The problem isn't OS specific since i've checked with friends of mine and their OS version is the same as mine. I find it really annoying and unusual to see this problem only occuring in my case. Is there any more files that i can (or must) report to you?

Hi @_reis220,

1. The crash is not design specific (crashes for all designs) and the same scenario does not create issue with other system. Hence this should be machine specific issue.

2. We cannot rule out that this is not because of OS because in unsupported OS platforms, we have seen the tool may or may not (at times) run properly. I think it should be best to try the same initially in your "system" with supported Win10 professional OS (link v2018.1 page.no.17) as recommended in UG973 and AR#54242. (As we discussed, I do not think Win8.1 is supported either by tool 2017.4 and 2018.1 from the above links).

3. After working on the above, if still the crash is seen at your end, then please do share the environment report file and check if we can get any other crash files (other than vivado log and jou) https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/55854.html.

Thanks,

Prathik