Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Vivado [2018.2] crashes on Elaborating Design and synthesis always fails

Jump to solution

I have recently started learning VHDL and tried coding a simple combinational design involving two 'or' gates and an 'and' gate. No matter how hard I tried I could not manage to run synthesis. Running synthesis always fails even though there are no warnings. I also can not open elaborated design because Vivado crashes without an error while elaborating. I have tried running synthesis and elaborating design with example codes but they resulted in crashes too. I found older forum posts complaining about similar issues but none of the solutions I found have worked. I thought my non-ascii Windows username could be causing these problems and changed it (without creating a second user). This also did not help.

I am using Vivado on Windows 7.

I am open to any kind of suggestions

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I solved all of my problems with pure luck, here is how:

I tried generating bitstream without running synthesis on its own and it magically synthesized without an error. After that instance the run synthesis button worked perfectly.

I was reaching my projects from the open project button on vivado launch menu. I tried opening a project directly from the .xpr file in the project directory, then it magically carried out a perfectly elaborated design.

This might be bug of the version or could just be an issue specific to my computer: Design elaboration hard crashes vivado if the project has been opened from the start menu. If the .xpr file is clicked on and the project is opened this way, open elaborated design button causes no crash.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @ugy99,

Can you please share a test case in order to reproduce the crash at my end? Also please share the snapshot of any message pop outs during crash, if any.

Thanks,

Raj.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @ugy99,

Try to run Vivado example design and check that you face the same issue with that or not. 

Also provide vivado.log from your project directory to evaluate it. 

Regards,

hemangd

Regards,
hemangd

Don't forget to give kudos and mark it as accepted solution if your issue gets resolved.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I solved all of my problems with pure luck, here is how:

I tried generating bitstream without running synthesis on its own and it magically synthesized without an error. After that instance the run synthesis button worked perfectly.

I was reaching my projects from the open project button on vivado launch menu. I tried opening a project directly from the .xpr file in the project directory, then it magically carried out a perfectly elaborated design.

This might be bug of the version or could just be an issue specific to my computer: Design elaboration hard crashes vivado if the project has been opened from the start menu. If the .xpr file is clicked on and the project is opened this way, open elaborated design button causes no crash.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Amazing...

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks from korea.

thank you for your advice. it works.

0 Kudos