Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nicolaseberlein
Visitor
Visitor

Vivado 2021.1 stuck initializing language server

Hello all!

I installed Vivado 2021.1 on my Windows 10 PC and started developing a Zynq based project. As long as the PC is running, I can close and reopen Vivado and edit my project with no problems. But after restarting my PC and opening any design file, Vivado shows a loading bar "Opening Editor" with the message "Initializing Language Server and Opening <my design file>". The green bar slides from one side to the other for some time until it stucks and Vivado stops responding. This is the same for every file in the project.

I found out that trying to edit older projects the editor also does not load any more, although they worked fine in Vivado 2020.2. Furthermore, reinstalling Vivado 2021.1 and editing the new project results in the same endless loading screen. But reinstalling Vivado and starting a fresh project works fine.

Currently, the only workaround for me is backing up all my design files, reinstalling Vivado, creating a new project, and importing all design files every time I restart my PC.

Thanks in advance for your support!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Kele
Visitor
Visitor

I got same issue here. I found delete "C:\Users\Kele\AppData\Roaming\Xilinx" then start vivado can solve this.

nicolaseberlein
Visitor
Visitor

Thank you Kele! Deleting Roaming data also works for me.

I was able to narrow it down to one single file located here: C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Xilinx\Vivado\tclapp\mainfest.tcl Deleting this file allows working with my project also after reboot. I am now writing a batch file that deletes this file before starting Vivado.

To the Vivado developers: I attached the file here. What causes this problem? Will you be able to release a fix?

vishwas

I'm facing the same issue in ubuntu 20.04. Can you suggest any fix for me?

0 Kudos
Kele
Visitor
Visitor

I guess the data file under Ubuntu should be on ~/.Xilinx (hidden by default). You can use ctrl+H to unhide those folders, and see if you can find same file as manifest.tcl.

nicolaseberlein
Visitor
Visitor

It seems like deleting the manifest.tcl file is not sufficient as workaround.
What consistently works for me is the following (after reboot):

1) Delete the manifest.tcl file.

2) Start Vivado and open a project.

3) Let it freeze trying to open a source file.

4) Kill Vivado process (in Windows I use Task Manager).

5) Delete manifest.tcl file again.

6) Start Vivado and open the project. Now the editor should load successfully.

Kele
Visitor
Visitor

Hi @nicolaseberlein 

Another suggestion, if you don't want to do this step all the time, you can try change the option "Tools -> Settings -> Tool Settings -> Text Editor -> Syntax Checking -> Syntax checking" from Sigasi to Vivado, then restart Vivado.

Compare to Sigasi, Vivado provide less capability, but at least it works normally.  

Hey, can you suggest where the manifest.tcl file is?

0 Kudos
Kele
Visitor
Visitor

Hi @abhay1kulkarni ,

as @nicolaseberlein mentioned, it's under C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Xilinx\Vivado\tclapp\mainfest.tcl if you are using windows. Or ~/.Xilinx if you are using Linux.

0 Kudos
Madhav001

By restart do you mean to shut down vivado and reopen it? because I have tried changing the syntax checking, but every time it automatically changes back to Sigasi after closing and reopening vivado

0 Kudos
Kele
Visitor
Visitor

Hi @Madhav001 

Yes, close Vivado and reopen it. But for your case, Vivado seems does not read configuration file correctly. Are you using Windows or Linux? Do you start Vivado using Admin/root (try not do this)?

Can you make sure Vivado could modify the configuration file successfully?

Madhav001

Thanks, Kele. That worked. Earlier I forgot to click on Apply after making the changes.