UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor slm_gmail
Visitor

Vivado Block Diagram - Error in placing module

I hope I'm posting to the right forum, but here goes:

In Vivado 2016.4:  I am trying to place a VHDL module into a block diagram and that VHDL module includes Xilinx IP.  I am getting an error:

ERROR: [filemgmt 56-181] Reference 'TOP_<NAME_OF_MODULE>' contains sub-design file 'D:/.../_ip/BLK_MEM_SP_8B/BLK_MEM_SP_8B.xci'. This sub-design is not allowed in the reference due to following reason(s):  IP references are currently not enabled.

So it seems that my big block of logic that contains a bunch of Xilinx IP blocks (RAM, MCMM, initialized ROM, etc) can't be placed in the block diagram and hooked up to the Zynq processor...  Isn't this a major flaw in the whole FPGA fabric design concept?  Maybe I can  "enable" IP references, as the end of the error message might imply? What gives?

- Cheers, Sam 

//Microsemi's Libero has no similar problem hangup.  I don't know about Quartus...

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: Vivado Block Diagram - Error in placing module

@slm_gmail 

Check XCI Inferencing topic in below link at page 221:

https://www.xilinx.com/content/dam/xilinx/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2019_1/ug994-vivado-ip-subsystems.pdf#page=221

You can package your block which has xci file in it using Vivado IP packager feature and add the custom IP in your block design:

IP Packager User guide: https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2019_1/ug1118-vivado-creating-packaging-custom-ip.pdf

Tutorial: https://www.xilinx.com/content/dam/xilinx/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2019_1/ug1119-vivado-creating-packaging-ip-tutorial.pdf

--Syed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor slm_gmail
Visitor

Re: Vivado Block Diagram - Error in placing module

Wow.  This is incomprehensibly difficult.  I got it placed by

(1) deactivating all unused items in my project other than the RTL module

(2) packaging RTL into IP.

I tried other ways, it didn't work.  I appreciate the pointers to documentation, but I am NOT going to read 100 pages of Xilinx garbage.  Unfortunately, if this exercise has taught me anything, it is that the Zynq and Vivado are over-designed for nearly all my purposes, and stupidly complicated.  It took deleting and rebuilding entire IP packages just to upgrade them.  I mean, this is horrendous.  I will never recommend Zynq on a platform, ever.

- Sam 

0 Kudos