UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer tgalecki
Observer

Vivado Manage IP usage

Jump to solution

I'm trying to figure out when and why you would use the Manage IP project and import IP from the manage IP into a Vivado project. Let's say I have an AXI DIO peripheral. If I am using the Manage IP project then I need to modify the IP in the Manage project then update the project I'm working with (e.g number of output pins). What is the advantage of the additional step?

I'm interested in using revision control, but it seems like a lot more work to manage the IP in a separate project and import the customized (for the particular part and number of output pins) than if the project part was customized in the Vivado project.

I'm struggling to understand in what situations the Manage IP project is good for.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Historian
Historian

Re: Vivado Manage IP usage

Jump to solution

If you are using a Vivado project (and always using the same Vivado project) then there is no advantage.

Using a Manage IP project is necessary if you plan to use an IP block in Vivado "non-project batch" mode - here you have no project.

It is also useful if you have a revision control and build environment that does not revision control the project itself (i.e. where the Vivado project is built "on the fly" each time you launch a build using just a Tcl script and the source files).

Avrum

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

If you are using a Vivado project (and always using the same Vivado project) then there is no advantage.

Using a Manage IP project is necessary if you plan to use an IP block in Vivado "non-project batch" mode - here you have no project.

It is also useful if you have a revision control and build environment that does not revision control the project itself (i.e. where the Vivado project is built "on the fly" each time you launch a build using just a Tcl script and the source files).

Avrum

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Observer tgalecki
Observer

Jump to solution

Thank you so much! I re-read the docs with the mindset that the project mode handles the ip integrator aspect as part of the project and things may much more sense.

0 Kudos