UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Vivado Naming Conventions

Jump to solution

Hello,

a) UG973 (v2017.4) on p.7-8 discusses allowed file and directory naming conventions, including which characters are allowed, and which characters are not allowed.

No mention is made however of the "+", "-", "=" and ":" characters, as being allowed or not allowed.  I ask since directory paths on my Windows 7 machine often contain "-" characters.

b) In UG888 (v2017.4) on p.10 in following the beginning tutorial steps, in attempting on my Windows 7 machine to change directory in the Tcl shell to the Vivado_Tutorial directory, I had the directory open in a Windows Explorer window, and obtained the full path by clicking in the top line there and copying to the clipboard the text, e.g.:

C:\A\B\C\D\Vivado_Tutorial

However, when attempting to paste the text string into the Tcl shell window, the "\" characters were suppressed, with the result:

C:ABCDVivado_Tutorial

Is such behavior a (rather inconvenient) expected functionality of the Tcl shell, or is this basically a bug?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

Re: Vivado Naming Conventions

Jump to solution

regarding upper/lower/Camel/... case : I'd recommend to use only lower case in filenames, paths, folders, ... 

reason : Windows is case insensitive, but Linux IS case sensitive when it comes to filenames, paths, ... .

I started a few years ago in Windows, but then switched to Linux for several reasons. When porting IP from Windows to Linux, I had a lot of issues with path names that contained mixed upper/lower case. In particular IP packager caused a lot of trouble when repackaging an IP on linux, that was once initiated on Windows. (edit : I had to manually edit the .xml files in order to correct the path names to many files in the custom IP)

Bottomline : use lower case (forget camelCase, ...). If you want to make a filename more readable, like 'serialReceiveFifo', use serial_receive_fifo instead. Underscore works fine. I do the same for signal names in HDL code, no camel_case. Leave them in the desert where they belong.

I'd also avoid '-' wherever possible, and use underscore. But that's just personal :-)

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
Tags (1)
4 Replies
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Jump to solution

Switch to a forward slash..  works just great:     cd  c:/data/test/subdir

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

Jump to solution

regarding upper/lower/Camel/... case : I'd recommend to use only lower case in filenames, paths, folders, ... 

reason : Windows is case insensitive, but Linux IS case sensitive when it comes to filenames, paths, ... .

I started a few years ago in Windows, but then switched to Linux for several reasons. When porting IP from Windows to Linux, I had a lot of issues with path names that contained mixed upper/lower case. In particular IP packager caused a lot of trouble when repackaging an IP on linux, that was once initiated on Windows. (edit : I had to manually edit the .xml files in order to correct the path names to many files in the custom IP)

Bottomline : use lower case (forget camelCase, ...). If you want to make a filename more readable, like 'serialReceiveFifo', use serial_receive_fifo instead. Underscore works fine. I do the same for signal names in HDL code, no camel_case. Leave them in the desert where they belong.

I'd also avoid '-' wherever possible, and use underscore. But that's just personal :-)

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
Tags (1)
Highlighted

Jump to solution

-and to keep us on our toes:

VHDL is case insensitive when it comes to signal names and port names.

However, Tcl/XDC is case sensitive.  So, care is needed when writing constraints that use VHDL signal/port names.

Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

Jump to solution

good remark markg@prosensing.com, again a reason to only use lower case and underscores in signal names, port names, ... 

0 Kudos