Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Vivado Naming Conventions

Jump to solution

Hello,

a) UG973 (v2017.4) on p.7-8 discusses allowed file and directory naming conventions, including which characters are allowed, and which characters are not allowed.

No mention is made however of the "+", "-", "=" and ":" characters, as being allowed or not allowed.  I ask since directory paths on my Windows 7 machine often contain "-" characters.

b) In UG888 (v2017.4) on p.10 in following the beginning tutorial steps, in attempting on my Windows 7 machine to change directory in the Tcl shell to the Vivado_Tutorial directory, I had the directory open in a Windows Explorer window, and obtained the full path by clicking in the top line there and copying to the clipboard the text, e.g.:

C:\A\B\C\D\Vivado_Tutorial

However, when attempting to paste the text string into the Tcl shell window, the "\" characters were suppressed, with the result:

C:ABCDVivado_Tutorial

Is such behavior a (rather inconvenient) expected functionality of the Tcl shell, or is this basically a bug?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

Re: Vivado Naming Conventions

Jump to solution

regarding upper/lower/Camel/... case : I'd recommend to use only lower case in filenames, paths, folders, ... 

reason : Windows is case insensitive, but Linux IS case sensitive when it comes to filenames, paths, ... .

I started a few years ago in Windows, but then switched to Linux for several reasons. When porting IP from Windows to Linux, I had a lot of issues with path names that contained mixed upper/lower case. In particular IP packager caused a lot of trouble when repackaging an IP on linux, that was once initiated on Windows. (edit : I had to manually edit the .xml files in order to correct the path names to many files in the custom IP)

Bottomline : use lower case (forget camelCase, ...). If you want to make a filename more readable, like 'serialReceiveFifo', use serial_receive_fifo instead. Underscore works fine. I do the same for signal names in HDL code, no camel_case. Leave them in the desert where they belong.

I'd also avoid '-' wherever possible, and use underscore. But that's just personal :-)

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
4 Replies
Highlighted
Mentor
Mentor

Jump to solution

Switch to a forward slash..  works just great:     cd  c:/data/test/subdir

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

Jump to solution

regarding upper/lower/Camel/... case : I'd recommend to use only lower case in filenames, paths, folders, ... 

reason : Windows is case insensitive, but Linux IS case sensitive when it comes to filenames, paths, ... .

I started a few years ago in Windows, but then switched to Linux for several reasons. When porting IP from Windows to Linux, I had a lot of issues with path names that contained mixed upper/lower case. In particular IP packager caused a lot of trouble when repackaging an IP on linux, that was once initiated on Windows. (edit : I had to manually edit the .xml files in order to correct the path names to many files in the custom IP)

Bottomline : use lower case (forget camelCase, ...). If you want to make a filename more readable, like 'serialReceiveFifo', use serial_receive_fifo instead. Underscore works fine. I do the same for signal names in HDL code, no camel_case. Leave them in the desert where they belong.

I'd also avoid '-' wherever possible, and use underscore. But that's just personal :-)

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
Highlighted

Jump to solution

-and to keep us on our toes:

VHDL is case insensitive when it comes to signal names and port names.

However, Tcl/XDC is case sensitive.  So, care is needed when writing constraints that use VHDL signal/port names.

Tags (1)
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

Jump to solution

good remark markg@prosensing.com, again a reason to only use lower case and underscores in signal names, port names, ... 

0 Kudos