UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Vivado Newbie: Help adding SystemVerilog File as a module to the block design

Jump to solution

Hello, I'm new to Vivado and like using the Block Design using modules from my RTL. I have created a project with a Block Design and created a single SystemVerilog file. When I try to add in the file as a module it won't let me. If I choose "Show incompatible modules" from the Add Modules window I do see my module but I don't know why I can't add it to the Block design.

Add_Module.jpgI will also upload my  project. Is SystemVerilog files not allowed?

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Vivado Newbie: Help adding SystemVerilog File as a module to the block design

Jump to solution

Hi @joe306,

As per latest UG 994, SV module reference in BD is not supported.  (See below are the limitations of the module ref. feature)

moduleref.JPG

you can only use verilog and VHDL to use the "add module" functionality.

To integrate your IP in a BD, you can try to instantiate it in a verilog file and then add this verilog file as a module.

Regards,
hemangd

Don't forget to give kudos and mark it as accepted solution if your issue gets resolved.
11 Replies
Scholar watari
Scholar

Re: Vivado Newbie: Help adding SystemVerilog File as a module to the block design

Jump to solution

Hi @joe306

I confirmed your system verilog file.

Because of this file has a mistake in line 36. So, Vivado can not add this module.

Would you make sure it ?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

I tried with a file that has a Verilog extension and as able to add it to the Block Design, so my guess it that SystemVerilog is only allowed for Simulation.

Comments?

Joe

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

I changed the file to

module flip_bit(
    input logic clockin,
    input logic resetin,
    input logic [31:0] data_in,
    output logic [15:0] data_out
    );

endmodule

And still could not add it to the Block Design. Can you try?

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Anyone know if you can and SystemVerilog RTL as a module to a Block Design?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @joe306,

As per latest UG 994, SV module reference in BD is not supported.  (See below are the limitations of the module ref. feature)

moduleref.JPG

you can only use verilog and VHDL to use the "add module" functionality.

To integrate your IP in a BD, you can try to instantiate it in a verilog file and then add this verilog file as a module.

Regards,
hemangd

Don't forget to give kudos and mark it as accepted solution if your issue gets resolved.
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hello, thanks for responding to my post. Do you know if Xilinx has plans to fix this in the future?

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hello, one more question. Can you recommend any documentation that will help me learn how to package the SystemVerilog File as an IP and then import the IP to the block diagram?

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @joe306,

Have a look in UG 994, 896.

Regards,
hemangd

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Thank you

0 Kudos

Jump to solution
I'm facing the same issue. Would wrapping the SV module under a verilog module work? Has anyone tried it? Thanks.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Answering my own question here, yes, I can wrap SV in verilog to use in the block design. 

0 Kudos