cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Vivado Package IP - should run twice !

I have a big design that I want to create a package IP out of it and use it in another project.

I do all of the required steps and then I reach the point that I press the "package IP" button,

and then Magically, a new folder is added to my project folder containing the xci file.

First point : as of the 2013.3 no message (no log) is produced as output while it is generating the folder.

Then I try to use the XCI in another project.

No exception , the first time that I import the XCI to the new project, it complians that the IP does not have any ports, it is can not be upgraded and you need to unlock it by ....

Now, if I go back to the project of packaged IP and re-generate it, (just press re-package) ,

another magical folder gets created containing again the XCI file. 

Now , if I import this one into the project every thing goes fine!

Why this is happening?

M.S.Sadri.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Vivado Package IP - should run twice !

Hi,

Does this happens only for your big design?

Have you tried with any simple cores like Multiplier etc., and face the same issue?

Can you share few snapshots of the behaviour you described?

Regards,

Vanitha.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do google search before posting, you may find relavant information.
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented
0 Kudos
Highlighted

What I would suggest is to cross-check your steps with Lab -3 (Step-3&4) of the document http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2013_3/ug939-vivado-designing-with-ip-tutorial.pdf. Ideally when you package IP, it gets added to your IP catalog and then you can add it to your project. There is no need to re-package it unless you are customizing any parameters or ports or gui options.
Regards,
Debraj
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Hi,

It happened for me also for a small design.

I am studying a UG939. Practially there is only one difference with what I was doing, and that is the final step, before pressing the Package IP button, in which you enable creation of Archive of IP.  In fact, I had never checked this option before pressing the Package IP button.

Well, some times, when I am using Vivado, I feel I am designing with Maya! Sub-menues, links, several diaglog boxes inside each other....  :P

Thanks

M.S.Sadri.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

:) so do you still have to run IP Packager twice?
Regards,
Debraj
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Is your issue resolved? If yes please mark the answer or post the answer for other forum users.

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Hi,

I don't know yet,

I am trying to avoid generated Packaged IPs, because I have now noticed that

Vivado does not support packaging designs with "system verilog" as top level.

So, either, I have to convert the whole top level into verilog, or i should try to some how skip generating packaged IP.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thats true. System Verilog is in roadmap.
Regards,
Debraj

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Hi, 

My problem was, 

When you package your project as an IP, 

When you want to add this IP to another project, 

Before hand , you should add to the repository of your current project, the project folder of IP. 

So, if you package a project as an IP. 

Then you begin another project, 

and then use the "add source-> add existing IP" to add the packaged IP, 

the packaged IP will be added to your project, but in Locked mode. 

You don't have it inside the IP Catalog. 

0 Kudos