UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Vivado Upgrade : Critical Warnings [Designutils 20-1280] during compilation

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I am upgrading my projects from Vivado 2013.4 to Vivado 2017.4. Design comprises of multiple IP Cores such as FIFOs, MMCM, MIG, MAC, PHY. I had upgraded all the IP Cores to the latest version, I could see some critical warnings during compilation of my project in Vivado 2017.4. All the critical warnings are related to [Designutils 20-1280] for all the IP Cores in the design.

[Designutils 20-1280] Could not find module 'fifo_bram_fwft_async_4096x72'. The XDC file e:/PEX_10G/DDR3_APP_Common_Project/No_ZLP/xpex_dp/xpex_rev3/manageip/fifo_bram_fwft_async_4096x72/fifo_bram_fwft_async_4096x72.xdc will not be read for any cell of this module.

Can you please guide me in how to resolve this.

Regards,

Prasanth

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Vivado Upgrade : Critical Warnings [Designutils 20-1280] during compilation

Jump to solution

Hi markg@prosensing.com

Thank you for your suggestions. I was able to figure out the issues with the warning.

My Project consists of multiple applications which are enabled based on parameters, depends on the application some of the IP Cores are disabled and the warning which I am getting is for those which are not enabled. And I believe I can exclude these warnings, as it is not part of the design (what is u r opinion), but these warnings didn't come for Vivado 2013.4.

Regards,

Prasanth

0 Kudos
8 Replies

Jump to solution

H @prasanthvthycaud

Warning [20-1280] can be caused by changes in the IP. 

Since you are upgrading from Vivado v2013.4 then I would expect there to be many IP changes.

Try the following:
  1) Right-click on each IP and select "Reset Output Products.."
  2) Again, right-click on each IP and select "Generate Output Products.."
  3) Again, right-click on each IP and select "Set Used In.."
  4) Look at the instantiation files (.vho or .veo) for each IP and ensure they match how you instantiate the IP in your project

If these actions do not remove the warnings, then you might have to start afresh with the IP.  That is, delete the old IP from your project, get the new IP from the IP Catalog, and configure the new IP.  -and again check that you have instantiated each IP correctly in your project.

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi markg@prosensing.com,

Thank you for your reply.

As you had suggested, I had followed the steps but still I am getting the same critical warnings [Designutils 20-1280]. These warnings even come for the IPs which was newly generated with the latest version 2017.4.

For a reference I am attaching the screenshot.

I am not sure, whether I am missing any of the tool settings which I have to be made during the tool upgradation.

Regards,

Prasanth

Xilinx.JPG
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@prasanthvthycaud

Try the following:
  1) From Vivado menus, select "Tools > Settings.. > Project Settings > IP" and hit the "Clear Cache" button.
  2) Right-click on each IP and select "Reset Output Products.."
  3) Again, right-click on each IP and select "Generate Output Products.."

If things are still not working then consider the following actions.

If you want a really fresh start with Vivado v2017.4 then use it to create a new blank project.  Next, import from your v2013.4 project into the v2017.4 project, all the source files (.vhd) that you wrote and the constraints file (.xdc) that you wrote.  Be sure to check "Copy sources into project" when doing this importing.  Finally, go to the IP catalog and again select/configure each of the IP that you want to use.  This is actually not as difficult as it might sound - and you will have a nice clean feeling when done :)

Cheers,
Mark

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi markg@prosensing.com

Thank you for your suggestions. I was able to figure out the issues with the warning.

My Project consists of multiple applications which are enabled based on parameters, depends on the application some of the IP Cores are disabled and the warning which I am getting is for those which are not enabled. And I believe I can exclude these warnings, as it is not part of the design (what is u r opinion), but these warnings didn't come for Vivado 2013.4.

Regards,

Prasanth

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @prasanthvthycaud

Congratulations on finding the problem !

-a few questions:

Are you using the following command to disable the IP (or perhaps right-clicking the IP and selecting "Disable File")?

set_property is_enabled false [get_files <file_name>]

Is the disabled IP instantiated in your project and connected to other enabled components? 

With the critical warnings, was implementation status = Complete?

Cheers,

Mark

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi markg@prosensing.com,

I am not disabling the IPs.

I will make clear about my design architecture, I will be generating 2 different bit files based on difference in data width, i.e, for 8 and 64 bit, RTL is designed in such a way that the widths are configurable and for data processing the FIFOs are used. When I compile for 8 bit, the FIFOs which are generated for 64 bits are not used and in this scenario I getting the critical warning for those FIFOs which are not used.

Yes, even with these critical warnings the Implementation Status shows success and the Bit files are generated.

One observations is that, in the RTL Hierarchy the modules which are not used are not-highlighted in the Hierarchy and some of them will not be part of the Hierarchy also, I believe this changes are part of New Tool, is it possible to disable this tool feature?

Regards,

Prasanth

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Prasanth,

Thank you for answering my questions and for clarification on your design architecture.

I am sorry to say that I have no experience with what you are doing and my search elsewhere for an answer has not been successful.

Perhaps, @thakurr will rejoin this conversation and give you some guidance.   If you don't hear from him in a few days then I suggest you start a new post with a new title.  Again describe your design architecture, what Vivado features you are using to switch between the two configurations, problems you are seeing, and what you want to happen.

Again, sorry I could not be of more help.

Mark

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi markg@prosensing.com

Thank you for your suggestions.

I had started a new post for the Hierarchy View.

Regards,

Prasanth

0 Kudos