UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Vivado how to create new IP version

Hi all,

Sorry to ask a question that may be simple to some, but I can't find a solution anywhere.

I use Vivado 2014.4 wizard to create a custom IP. All fine. Now I want to edit this IP and package it with an different version.

I choose "Edit in IP packager" in the IP Catalog and this creates a project for the existing IP.

I do the editing and then when I go to re-package the design I don't find any way to change the root directory.

This is supposed to change from myip_1.0 to myip_2.0 for examlpe. Chnaging the version from 1.0 to 2.0 doesn't change the root directory:

2015-05-27 15_34_16-myip_v1_0_project.png

What is the correct way of creating a new version of an IP?

Thanks!

I think I found the answer in ug1118 and I don't like it:

To save a specific version of your IP prior to re-packaging, the recommended flow is to manually copy the packaged IP directory contents to a new location.

Anyone has a better idea?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Scholar pratham
Scholar

Re: Vivado how to create new IP version

@benradu The one in the user guide is the only way and recommended one.

Read the note.

IMPORTANT: The IP packager does not automatically archive and save previous versions of custom IP. Each time the IP is re-packaged, the IP location overwrites the data with the newer version of the IP. So if you would like to maintain both the versions of your ip you should manually copy the packaged IP directory contents to a new location. 

-Pratham

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

When you do "Edit in IP packager" and repackage the IP, the revision number is changed (incremented) automatically. So when you open a project which uses this old IP the tool will prompt you to upgrade the IP.

Why do you want to change the root directory?

Thanks,

Deepika. 

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi Deepika,

According to Vivado IP versioning here:

http://www.xilinx.com/ipcenter/vivado_ip_versioning.htm

the three version levels are meant to be used for showing how significant the changes are.

So Major and Minor may need to be changed, and when you do so, the root directory has to change as well to match the two numbers. It would be nice to have an easy way to create a new version of an IP. I though that this is what the Package IP window is for:2015-05-28 09_11_23-axi_lite_ipver.png

When you type a new version in the version box, all other files, especially the root directory should change automatically.

Thank you for your help!

Ben

0 Kudos
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

It would be really great if Xilinx would put more effort in (vido) tutorials that show how to do this in practice. look at the forums how many people are struggling with the basic stuff in Vivado. 

The IP Packager has like 3 options (package project, directory, ...) but it's far from clear which method to use when. 

It would be great if a video would just show how to build a  simple custom IP, integrate this one in another (application) project. Then you modify something to the custom IP, but keep both versions. Re-package. Update the application with the new IP. Also showing how to revert to the previous version.  It would really help a lot of people.

Then another tutorial should show how to re-use this IP on multple projects, and how to version control this IP and application projects.

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos