cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Vivado more permissive than ISE

I have noticed that in Vivado the synthesis worked and the bitfile was generated but there was no error message and something was wrong so I then took the code and placed it in an earlier ISE 4.2 :

https://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.html/content/xilinx/en/downloadNav/design-tools/archive.html

and the licences here

https://www.xilinx.com/member/10x_and_prior_regids.html

the error messages came very accurate (they did not appear in Vivado) and guided me in my design to make sure my verilog made sense. 

Once fixed I was able to go back to Vivado and synthesise for the 7 series 

Just here to point out that there are very good old tools that Xilinx has and its good they are still accessible thanks Xilinx!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

@xlyns,

Interested to know what the error messages exactly were.

Vivado is for implementing a design on 7series FPGAs.

And ISE4.x is from the Jurassic age.

If your design using Vivado has macros/primitives/IPs instantiated the code will very likely throw errors when ported to ISE.

------------FPGA enthusiast------------
Consider giving "Kudos" if you like my answer. Please mark my post "Accept as solution" if my answer has solved your problem

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

I was stuck with a non functional design in Vivado and no error messages and nothing to give me indication in the critical warnings so I was with no clue what I done wrong and there I went to ISE42 and the error messages gave me the chance there to fix issues that where unreported in Vivado and now my design works.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @xlyns,

Please share a testcase for which Vivado does not report any error (if it should).

Regards,
Prathik
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the appropriate post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helps to resolve your query.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Make a design with a few errors and compare the messages in ISE42 and Vivado. I done that many times and always noticed differences, I even tried to compare with what Quartus messages say. I was once stuck on internal loops and Vivado did not say anything and it did not work and Quartus and ISE42 told what was so I was releived

0 Kudos