UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Vivado more permissive than ISE

I have noticed that in Vivado the synthesis worked and the bitfile was generated but there was no error message and something was wrong so I then took the code and placed it in an earlier ISE 4.2 :

https://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.html/content/xilinx/en/downloadNav/design-tools/archive.html

and the licences here

https://www.xilinx.com/member/10x_and_prior_regids.html

the error messages came very accurate (they did not appear in Vivado) and guided me in my design to make sure my verilog made sense. 

Once fixed I was able to go back to Vivado and synthesise for the 7 series 

Just here to point out that there are very good old tools that Xilinx has and its good they are still accessible thanks Xilinx!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

Re: Vivado more permissive than ISE

@xlyns,

Interested to know what the error messages exactly were.

Vivado is for implementing a design on 7series FPGAs.

And ISE4.x is from the Jurassic age.

If your design using Vivado has macros/primitives/IPs instantiated the code will very likely throw errors when ported to ISE.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

I was stuck with a non functional design in Vivado and no error messages and nothing to give me indication in the critical warnings so I was with no clue what I done wrong and there I went to ISE42 and the error messages gave me the chance there to fix issues that where unreported in Vivado and now my design works.

0 Kudos

Hi @xlyns,

Please share a testcase for which Vivado does not report any error (if it should).

Regards,
Prathik
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the appropriate post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helps to resolve your query.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Make a design with a few errors and compare the messages in ISE42 and Vivado. I done that many times and always noticed differences, I even tried to compare with what Quartus messages say. I was once stuck on internal loops and Vivado did not say anything and it did not work and Quartus and ISE42 told what was so I was releived

0 Kudos