cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

What IP should be used to connect DMA to a custom IP?

I have a custom IP that I want to be able to send control signals to from my Zynq processor. I see that there's a CDMA IP which can connect to the Zynq to perform DMA transfers. There are also things like AXI-BRAM controllers that can connect the CDMA to a BRAM IP. What would be the best IP to use so that I can write a DMA transfer from my Zynq and end up with a standard logic vector output with whatever I wrote?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

check this ARs
http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/56609.html
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks for the response, but I'm not sure if that's what I'm looking for. This seems to be a method of extracting the AXI signals from the CDMA to the upper level wrapper so it can be connected to another AXI interface on a higher level.

What I was looking for was more an AXI controller similar to the AXI BRAM Controller, but instead of converting a full AXI-4 interface to a BRAM port, it would take in an AXI-4 interface and output a direct std_logic_vector or equivalent. So if you write to the CDMA a single word of data, that data would show up on the output of the IP, which I could then connect to my other IP.

Does any IP core like that exist?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello,

The closest thing to this would be AXI DMA which gives you an AXI Stream interface (instead of AXI4 with the more advanced control signaling).

Have a look at these Zynq AXI DMA example designs to help get started:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/57550.html

www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

You say "control signals" which to me means low throughput, low quantity and controlled by the PS individually. If so, what you need is some form GPIO. You can either use PS gpio across the PS/PL boundary or instantiate a PL GPIO block and control it at the addresses it's mapped.
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos