cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Why do Vivado IP cores not come with a VHDL package including the component declaration?

Why does Vivado not create a VHDL package per IP core, which includes the component declaration of the IP core?

There are the *_stub.vhdl and *_stub.v files, but for VHDL it would be immensly helpful if I could just use a package whenever I need the IP core instead of repeatedly copying the component declaration from the *.vho file into each architecture that uses the IP. It's just annoying.

Is there a specific reason why this isn't done? Is it because no equivalence exists in Verilog and Vivado internally "prefers" Verilog?

Of course I can create the package manually and put the component declaration inside, but it's so simple yet useful, I have to ask why Vivado does not do it by default, or why it was chosen not to do so.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Good Suggestions! We will report to tools R&D
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

You can ditch the components and use "direct" instantiation,  Components are not mandatory in VHDL, but it seems to be the de-facto style.

0 Kudos