UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor kleboeuf
Visitor

Xilinx ISE 13.1 fatal crash bug

Jump to solution

Hello,

I just finished isolating a bug that causes Xilinx ISE project navigator to immediately crash to desktop on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

I was typing up some verilog code when I errantly copy-pasted something to where it should not have been and clicked save, causing an immediate crash to desktop (it throws up a "_pn.exe stopped working" error and crashes).  If I attempted to restart the project navigator (in 32-bit or 64-bit mode), it crashed immediately.

After some trial-and-error I determined that the only way to get back in was to either A) remove (or comment out) the line of code I accidentally pasted, or B) load a different project from windows explorer.

I am able to reproduce this problem with a 100% success rate by using an external text editor to turn the errant code into a comment, opening the project, uncommenting the code, and clicking save.

I'll obviously be more careful to make any mistakes when typing out code from now on, but I thought that Xilinx might want to take a look at their parser to make it a little more forgiving.  Attached please find a .zip archive of my project (18kB), which I was able to cut down to just enough code to reproduce the problem (the project I'm uploading is completely broken and serves only to reproduce the problem).  Simply extract the archive, load the 'error.xise' project, navigate to the 'clock_manager' source file, uncomment line 16 and click save.

If any further details are needed from me in order to help reproduce the problem on your system please reply.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Instructor
Instructor

Re: Xilinx ISE 13.1 fatal crash bug

Jump to solution

You should open a webcase for this bug report.  The webcase support tech should generate the engineering change request.

Thanks for testing and documenting the problem so thoroughly, and letting us know!

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Instructor
Instructor

Re: Xilinx ISE 13.1 fatal crash bug

Jump to solution

You should open a webcase for this bug report.  The webcase support tech should generate the engineering change request.

Thanks for testing and documenting the problem so thoroughly, and letting us know!

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos