UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor chainastole
Visitor

Xilinx Software Development Kit (XSDK) for embedded development

Jump to solution

Is it possible to use Vivado free WebPack with Xilinx Software Development Kit (XSDK) for embedded development for soft-core (like in say Arty 7 boards) or hard-core (like in say Zynq 7 boards) of ARM processor. By embedded development I mean writing C-code to program the processor. The incentive to question is to eliminate the need to use ARM Keil MDK which is not affordable for me (after 90-days trial).

It is stated at https://www.xilinx.com/products/design-tools/embedded-software/sdk.html:

"The Xilinx Software Development Kit (XSDK) is the Integrated Design Environment for creating embedded applications on any of Xilinx's award winning microprocessors: Zynq® UltraScale+ MPSoC, Zynq-7000 SoCs, and the industry-leading MicroBlaze™ soft-core microprocessor."

From that I am not quite sure whether "creating embedded applications" really means programming processor and whether soft-core ARM is supported.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Xilinx Software Development Kit (XSDK) for embedded development

Jump to solution

Hi @chainastole 

You can use it to program the Xilinx soft processor and Zynq processor. It will not work for ARM soft core, you will need to use the tool from ARM

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
4 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @chainastole 

You can use it to program the Xilinx soft processor and Zynq processor. It will not work for ARM soft core, you will need to use the tool from ARM

Florent
Visitor chainastole
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks. Thats is what my intuition told. That is why I acquired Arty Z7-20 instead of less expensive Arty A7-35.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @chainastole 

On the Arty A7-35 you can always use the Xilinx soft processor Mircoblaze with SDK. Just not the ARM Cortex-M1/M3.

regards

Florent
0 Kudos
Visitor chainastole
Visitor

Jump to solution

Understood. But I specifically intended to work with ARM, not MicroBlaze. It'll be possible with Arty Z7 Cortex-A9 hard core and Xilinx SDK.

0 Kudos