UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scholar pedro_uno
Scholar

how to parameterize small fifos?

Hello All,

I am doing a design that uses a lot of wide shallow fifos of different widths. Because they are shallow I want to use distributed LUT memory to make the fifos. I am instantiating them within for-gen loops.

The Vivado IP core generator can make nice distributed fifos but I would rather not have a different core for every different width of fifo. Word size grows incrementally as I go though the processing pipeline so I would end up with quite a few fifo cores that differ only in width.

Does Xilinx provide a parameterized fifo library component that can have width assigned at instantiation?

Is there a way to use the IP Core generator in such a way that I can have a core that is parametrized for width?

What about fifo inference? Is is practical to write a parametrized fifo model that will synthesize to good quality distributed fifos?

For standard memory components we really should not have to grope for the core generator. It should be possible to just instantiate parameterized library modules on the fly.

Pete

----------------------------------------
DSP in hardware and software
-----------------------------------------
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Scholar dwisehart
Scholar

Re: how to parameterize small fifos?

Inference is probably your best option for distributed RAM.  For Block RAM there are Macros you could use: like FIFO_SYNC_MACRO, but those seem to only use BRAM.

I do not know of any way to make the IP Core generator created parametrized cores.

You can create your own component from the RAMnnn components, which are typically just 1 bit wide of various depths, in the various Libraries Guides (UG768 for 7-Series), but that might be more work than you are looking for.  If you follow the requirements for inference of DRAM, you should be fine.

Daniel

0 Kudos
Scholar pedro_uno
Scholar

I normally infer rams so that I can make them parameterized with the generic map feature of VHDL.

In this case I need FIFOs.  I don't find information on inferring FIFOs but I have friends that just design their own FIFOs by inferring rams, read/write counters, etc.  That is more than I want to get into but is possible.

I have noticed that when I generate a distributed memory FIFO using the core generator in Vivado it creates a .vhd file under the synth/ folder.  Inside that folder it instantiates a fifo_generator_v12_0 fifo from library fifo_generator_v12_0. On that instantiated fifo the generics are set to implement the fifo that I requested in the Vivado core generator. 

I tried to take the design from the synth folder and compile it as source but got all kinds of missing black box errors.  I wonder if is possible to instantiate the fifo_generator_v12_0 component in my source.

While searching for answers I found some references to the Altera Library of Parameterized Modules (LPM) library.  That seems to be what I want.  I don't know how well it works and Xilinx has no support for LPM of course.

0 Kudos
Scholar dwisehart
Scholar

Yes, I do not think you can infer a FIFO; only a RAM, which you need to build grey counters and clock domain crossing logic around.

I have had some luck pulling in the synth directories and building around the contents, but usually just as a step to eliminating those files and rolling my own.

Yes, I suspect some hardy fool would have to create LPM from scratch to get the same functionality.
0 Kudos
Scholar pedro_uno
Scholar

For now, I only need common clock FIFOs. That simplifies the logic a lot.  Maybe it makes sense to write my own FIFO.

0 Kudos
Scholar dwisehart
Scholar

In that case it is pretty easy, especially if the read and write width are the same. A loop and the primitive of your choice should do the storage; a read and write counter and you are done, if you aren't implementing anything fancy and you have a simple way to handle over and under flow.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

parameterize FIFO is not supported yet with Xilinx however it will be in the roadmap.

You can get parameterize memory from Vivado 2015.3 release calle XPM_Memory
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Scholar pedro_uno
Scholar

simple parameterized fifo

Hello,

I wrote a simple common clock fifo just so that I could parameterize it.  The source code is attached here but it has not been tested thoroughly.  In a 48 wide by 128 deep configuration it barely meets my Fmax requirement of 250MHz in a -1 Artix.  Logic utilization is about the same as the Vivado core of the same dimensions.

Now I can go back to my actual work.

Pete

------------------------------

library IEEE;
use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.ALL;
use IEEE.numeric_std.ALL;

entity sync_fifo is
generic (
    awidth   : natural := 8;
    dwidth   : natural := 16);
port(
    clk         : in  std_logic;
    reset       : in  std_logic;
    --
    wr_ena      : in  std_logic;
    wr_data     : in  std_logic_vector(dwidth-1 downto 0);
    --
    rd_ena      : in  std_logic;
    rd_data     : out std_logic_vector(dwidth-1 downto 0);
    empty       : out std_logic;
    full        : out std_logic);
end entity sync_fifo;

architecture rtl of sync_fifo is
    --
    type d_array_t is array (2**awidth-1 downto 0) of std_logic_vector(dwidth-1 downto 0);
    signal d_array : d_array_t;
    attribute ram_style : string;
    attribute ram_style of d_array : signal is "distributed";
    --
    signal wr_addr, rd_addr : unsigned(awidth-1 downto 0);
    signal wr_ptr, rd_ptr   : unsigned(awidth-0 downto 0); -- extra bit for full/empty discrimination
    signal ram_dout         : std_logic_vector(dwidth-1 downto 0);
    --
    signal full_int         : std_logic;
    signal empty_int        : std_logic;
    --
begin

--
    fifo_proc:process
    begin
        wait until rising_edge(clk);
        --
        if reset = '1' then
            wr_ptr  <= (others=>'0');
            rd_ptr  <= (others=>'0');
            rd_data <= (others=>'0');
        else
            --
            if wr_ena='1' and full_int='0' then
                wr_ptr <= wr_ptr + 1;
                -- ram write is synchronous
                d_array(to_integer(wr_addr)) <= wr_data;
            end if;
            --
            if rd_ena='1' and empty_int='0' then
                rd_ptr <= rd_ptr + 1;
                rd_data <= ram_dout;
            end if;

end if;
    end process;

-- rip off part of pointers that is memory address.
    wr_addr <= wr_ptr(wr_addr'range);
    rd_addr <= rd_ptr(rd_addr'range);

-- ram read is asynchronous
    ram_dout <= d_array(to_integer(rd_addr));

-- full and empty
    empty_int <= '1' when ((wr_addr = rd_addr) and (wr_ptr(wr_ptr'left)  = rd_ptr(rd_ptr'left))) else '0';
    full_int  <= '1' when ((wr_addr = rd_addr) and (wr_ptr(wr_ptr'left) /= rd_ptr(rd_ptr'left))) else '0';
    empty <= empty_int;
    full  <= full_int;

end architecture rtl;

0 Kudos
Scholar pedro_uno
Scholar

Balkishran

That XPM_Memory sounds like the right way to go. Hopefully, it will eventually include RAM, FIFOs and SRL based shift registers.
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Re: simple parameterized fifo

A couple of links:  FWFT and standard fifo.  I haven't tried either of those.

***Many of us who help you are just FPGA enthusiasts, and not Xilinx employees. If you receive help, and give kudos (star), you're likely to continue receiving help in the future. If you get a solution, please mark it as a solution.***
0 Kudos
Scholar pedro_uno
Scholar

Re: simple parameterized fifo

I did try both those two fifos before I did my own.  I believe both of them failed my Fmax timing spec.

0 Kudos