UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

incompatible module issue when trying to add a module into the Block Design in Vivado

Hello All,

I am facing an issue when trying to add some custom modules (.v files) into a block design created in Vivado, which I hope you can give me some guidance in this regard.

The thing is, I have cloned some .v files as my design source from this repository: https://github.com/hsharma35/dnnweaver2/tree/master/hardware/rtl

While following the steps for creating a project as instructed in https://github.com/hsharma35/dnnweaver2/tree/master/hardware, when I try to add the top-level cl_wrapper module, the module is shown in grey and cannot be selected and added as it says it is incompatible. I also see some (not all) submodules of this top-level module are considered to be incompatible, so I am guessing because of them being incompatible, the top-level module would not be compatible as well. But I do not know the reason(s) for a module being incompatible.

I have tested on both Vivado 2019.1, and 2018.3 (suggested by authors of custom modules in the mentioned link) and faced the same issue each time. I am attaching a screenshot of the error on Vivado 2018.3 as a reference:

Screenshot from 2019-10-06 15-29-25.png 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: incompatible module issue when trying to add a module into the Block Design in Vivado

Hi @amirhossein_esmaili .

Please check the files which are showing as incompatible for:

• syntactical errors
  • Modules with missing sources
  •  Module definitions that contain or refer to an EDIF netlist, a DCP file, another block design, or
    unsupported IP

For detailed information on that pleas check page no.217 of below link:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2019_1/ug994-vivado-ip-subsystems.pdf 

Thanks,

Raj

0 Kudos

Re: incompatible module issue when trying to add a module into the Block Design in Vivado

Hi Raj,

Thank you very much for your answer.

I broke down the issue, and one problem I found was that mux_n_1.v, which is one of the modules needed for the synthesis of higher-level modules, is not compatible itself and thus cannot be added to the block design as it is (which probably causes the higher-level modules to be incompatible as well).

However, this module (mux_n_1) only uses mux_2_1.v as its submodule, where mux_2_1.v file exists and also is compatible and can be added to the Block Desing separately. For debugging this, what I tried to do was I created a new separate project in Vivado and only added mux_n_1.v and mux_2_1.v as source files, and attempted to synthesize the mux_n_1 in this new project. However, while mux_2_1 was still compatible, mux_n_1 is still incompatible and cannot be added to the block design.

I cannot figure the reason for this and I appreciate any help in this regard. For reference, I am attaching mux_2_1.v and mux_n_1.v files in case somebody wants to try this itself.

Thanks, Amirhossein.

0 Kudos