Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

max voltage for I/O pin fpga 7

Jump to solution
hi every body
im using a vc707 xilinx evaluation board
in datasheet and user guide of vc707 explain max voltage for I/O pins in bank 17 and bank 18 are 1.8 volt but for a test I mistaked,
I assigned a 3.3 volt pulse to a pin and result of test was ok!!
I have thought the pin was damaged when I awared this mistake But when I cosidered, pin was ok!!
can you explain why not damaged pin by 3.3 volt input pulse?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

You have exceeded the absolute maximum ratings,

If true.  However, the IO pin ESD protection diodes will clamp the voltage to 1.8v Vcco.  So, the limit was not exceeded.

No damage was done.

But, FIX IT.  DO NOT ALLOW TO CONTINUE.  Given a strong enough driver, the protection diode will pull Vcco too high, and there will be damage.

Damage may not be immediate.  It may operate for days, weeks, or months before failing.  We just do not know.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Instantaneously exceeding the absolute maximum rating instantaneously may lead to deterioration or destruction, or even immediately after that it is susceptible to damage even if it operates normally, so that its life will be shortened I will.
Therefore, it is necessary not to exceed any maximum rating.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

You have exceeded the absolute maximum ratings,

If true.  However, the IO pin ESD protection diodes will clamp the voltage to 1.8v Vcco.  So, the limit was not exceeded.

No damage was done.

But, FIX IT.  DO NOT ALLOW TO CONTINUE.  Given a strong enough driver, the protection diode will pull Vcco too high, and there will be damage.

Damage may not be immediate.  It may operate for days, weeks, or months before failing.  We just do not know.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor
Thanks a lot
Thanks
0 Kudos