UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

"An Error occurred during Customization" tried to create ddr-ctrl for 3A Starter kit

Hi,

It seems, I don't understand the exact design flow to create an SDRAM controller,

as I get above mentioned Error message:

I start Coregen:

-> Create New Project

In the Part tab

- Spartan 3A and 3AN

- XC3S700AN

- fgg484

- speed grade -4

In the Generation Tab:

- Flow: Design entry Verilog

- Flow Settings ISE

other settings default

In the Advanced Tab: 

- no changes to default values

Now I save the project (just in case)

Memories & Storage Elements -> Memory Interface Generation 

I double click on MIG (2.3)

NEXT

select "Create Design for Xilinx Reference Boards"

change component name to "ddr_ctrl"

NEXT

NEXT

Accept License

NEXT

NEXT

GENERATE

(Now quite some files are generated in the tmp directory)

There is now also a zip file in the tmp directory.

Now I click on the "Finish" button and get a message box with

"An Error Occured during Customisation"

What does this messsage want to tell me?

Thanks in advance for any info

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: "An Error occurred during Customization" tried to create ddr-ctrl for 3A Starter kit

As long as you have the zip file, then you have the board files you need which are in the zip file.  The Coregen error may be a spurious error that can be ignored.  Is your zip file valid?  If so, I wouldn't worry about this Coregen error.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: "An Error occurred during Customization" tried to create ddr-ctrl for 3A Starter kit

Hi J,

Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I have the zip film but is this all?

I expected, that there should be an easy way to insert the memory controller into an existing

project  and a simple way to merge the ucf constraints.

How exactly is the intended, most painless flow to instantiate the SDRAM controller into an existing design

and being sure, that the constraints for the SDRAM controller er being merged.

My problem is mostly, that I am a first time user of Coregen and I don't really know what exactly to expect from the tool.

What I considered also strange is, that my error is not spirous, but 100% reproducable on two different computers.

If I generate for example a Fifo and not a memory controller, then CoreGn doesn't fail at the end

and the fifo becomes part of my coregen project.

A memory controller never becomes part of a coregen project, because coregen fails before.

bye

Klaus

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

In MIG, you should use "create new design" instead of the board files option if you are designing a new board.  The output of MIG will then include two directories, an example design which includes a synthesizable test bench, and a user design which is the bare memory controller and physical layer.  You would want to connect this user design to your overall design.  The example design can be useful to simulate and to bring up your board.  Both outputs from MIG include a UCF which you can incorporate in your larger design.

The board files option of MIG is for specific boards and will not necessarily be useful with a new design.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi J,

Well I didn't express myself very well.

I have an existing design (for me design = verilog code) for the Spartan 3AN starter kit with a few blocks, but without an SDRAM controller.

Therefore I wanted to choose im MIG the Spartan 3AN starter kit, such, that all the pin positions / timing constraints are correct.

It seems, that all, that MIG is doing when specifying a board is copying a pre-existing zip file into the tmp directory

The file could have been already found under

$XILINXPATH/Xilinx/10.1/ISE/coregen/ip/xilinx/other/com/xilinx/ip/mig_v2_3/data/fpga_tlib/spartan3a/board_files/sp3a_board_files.zip

If MIG is just doing a mkdir, then a copy and then  a crash, then I fully agree, that  MIG is not really useful for this use case.

So I guess, that my 'design flow' seems to be this:

- copy the zip file manualy  (or let MG copy it)

- unpack the zip file manually

- separate test bench files from the ddr controllerand copy them to my preexisting design

- locate the ucf file and manually merge the constraints

- do whatever else is needed to make the design run.

I think this will keep me busy for some time.

thanks again and bye

Klaus

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

MIG doesn't handle the flow you mention very well.  It expects that you either are designing a new board or that you have a demo board and want to try the example design.  It doesn't handle the flow of adding a new design to the demo board as well as it could.  You are correct on the flow you mention.
0 Kudos