UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer scienceofficer
Observer

ucf file shows dcm pins not ports

I created a schematic entry file with a dcm from coregen followed by flip flops. I added input and output markers which I named. When I created ucf file, the input and output pins were the only options. The input and output markers/ports were not available.

Is it some quirk with ise10.1 webpack?

I would appreciate any help.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: ucf file shows dcm pins not ports

Can you please clarify what you mean by the words "markers" and "pins".  

ninja edit: fixed a typo

-------------------------------------------
this space intentionally left blank
0 Kudos
Observer scienceofficer
Observer

I'm used to create schematics with orcad, so I use pins. I should have said input/output connections or nets. Not sure how many of the people on this forum do it that way.

When you create a project with a schematic, instead of vhdl, you have inport and output ports, which are called i/o markers. I named the i/o ports 'clock' and 'f_out'.

The pins are the input and outputs connections of the dcm - like clk_in, rst, clk_out.

So when I created the ucf file and tried to set period and duty cycle of my 'clock' in, it wasn't an choice. All the choices were the input, output connections of the dcm itself - no 'clock'.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Now I understand.  Try this -- run through synthesis and then look at the corresponding HDL code that the schematic is converted to (either a .VHF file or a .VF file) and see if the IO markers were actually wired up to the DCM as you expect.

There may be a glitch in the schematic where the connection is not actually being made and this is preventing constraints editor from recognizing the connectivity to the IO.

0 Kudos
Observer scienceofficer
Observer

Found solution!! It is a little strange though. I had gotten lazy and had my dcm file the same as my schematic  and the software maybe got confused? They were different extensions.

I started a new project and used different names and it worked. Got errors about the unconnected pins but I programmed it sucessfully.

I found one odd problem. If I removed the ucf file - from the project and the project directory, I couldn't add/create another one -

just created zero size file.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

That's odd. I am going to see if I can reproduce that today.

0 Kudos