Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

vivado ip upgrade

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am trying to use .xci and .xcix file from vobs directory not from directory where i am running the project. I have doubt about what file(.xci or xcix ) should be called when we what to upgrade an ip? and which command should be used to read that ip, so when we upgrade the ip the files should be modified in vobs directory.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @mawnash ,

If you are using core container, the file will be .xcix. If you are not using it, then file will be .xci.

If you've both files (.xci and .xcix) in that directory for same IP, then it is recommended to continue with .xcix if you're using version control system.

Regards,
Ashish
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @mawnash ,

Irrespective of using core container for IP (.xcix file) or not (.xci file), the commands related to IP operations remains the same.

So commands for reading and upgrading ip will be -

add_files <ip_name>.xci or read_ip <ip_name>.xci (This will reference IP files from remote location)

import_files <ip_name>.xci (This is project mode command and will copy IP along with its output products to current project location for IP)

upgrade_ip <ip_name>

You can leverage benefits of core container feature if you are using version control system. To enable it for your project, you can use command -

set_property coreContainer.enable 1 [current_project]

Regards,
Ashish
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi,

Thank you. one more question which file can we use for reading ip during ip upgrade. Is it .xci or .xcix?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @mawnash ,

If you are using core container, the file will be .xcix. If you are not using it, then file will be .xci.

If you've both files (.xci and .xcix) in that directory for same IP, then it is recommended to continue with .xcix if you're using version control system.

Regards,
Ashish

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

Hi,

OK..I got it.

If I try to read .xci using read_ip from my revision controlled directory , it is showing error as "IP IS LOCKED IT IS READ ONLY" and synthesis is failing.

In this case if i use import_ip it copies it to local run dirctory and it is working fine.

my main intention is to "access directly from revision controlled file without checking out the ip file"

can you help me with this? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @mawnash ,

While using IP based designs in version control systems, there are some trade-offs which needs to be taken into account. You can find details around this in below UG -

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2019_1/ug892-vivado-design-flows-overview.pdf (Chapter 5)

Regards,
Ashish
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi,

ok I got that.

Is there any way so when we use read_ip <.xci> it will point to .xcix file.

below is the command i saw in some project where the read_ip poiting to a directory(eth_sfp_sync/eth_sfp_sync.xci) which does not exist but it sources to .xcix file which is available in 

(/xyz/fpga/zzz/src/com/models/hw_common/ipcores/vivado_buil/built_ips) this path.

read_ip /xyz/fpga/zzz/src/com/models/hw_common/ipcores/vivado_buil/built_ips/eth_sfp_sync/eth_sfp_sync.xci
CRITICAL WARNING: [Vivado 12-1504] The IP is already part of the fileset 'sources_1'. Requested source '/xyz/fpga/zzz/src/com/models/hw_common/ipcores/vivado_buil/built_ips/eth_sfp_sync.xcix' will not be added.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @mawnash ,

Not sure if I am missing something here, but if there is .xcix file already present at that location, then why are you trying to reference .xci file through commands ?

Regards,
Ashish
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi,

Even I am not sure of that because i saw that in some project.

my doubt is can we use read_ip <.xcix> file and upgrade the ip? and if we upgrade will it change the .xci file also.

i am going to use below this command and follow this steps. is this correct way of doing? or suggest me any other ways of doing it.

read_ip <.xci> [confusion in this part which file i should use for upgrade]

1) create a managed project then copy the .xci file from models folder.

2) Then using GUI edit the ip and then generate the xcix and xci file.

3) copy the new xcix and xci file to models folder and check in.

0 Kudos