UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

working with older IP versions when newer available (problem when IP is purchased)

Highlighted
Explorer

working with older IP versions when newer available (problem when IP is purchased)

Hi,

We have a purchased license for the 10G ethernet MAC IP core. This is valid util 2015.11 according to the license manager so it won't run to the latest version of the core that comes with Vivado 2017.1 that we just upgraded to. That is, unless I upgrade the core I cannot generate output products for it because it's locked.

As far as I can see our options here are:

- Purchase an updated license (we have no need to, we're happy with the core as it stands)

- Generate the core outputs in an earlier version of Vivado and import the DCP

This is annoying as it requires me to have an older version of Vivado installed just to generate this core. I have to make an exception when it comes to our IP flow with our projects because I can generate it with all our other IP. 

I can see the idea behind forcing people to upgrade IP that is old but really there should be an option not to as this poses the above problem when the IP is purchased and not free. 

Thoughts?

Re: working with older IP versions when newer available (problem when IP is purchased)

@mistercoffee,

You can generate HW Evaluation license of the IP which will allow you to generate the bitstream in 2017.1.

--Syed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Explorer

Re: working with older IP versions when newer available (problem when IP is purchased)

syedz wrote:

@mistercoffee,

You can generate HW Evaluation license of the IP which will allow you to generate the bitstream in 2017.1.

--Syed

yes it will, but surely being an evaluation version it will be of limited use (I remember the evaluation version of the 10GE MAC only running for 8 hours before a timeout) ? Otherwise why purchase?

I'm not sure I understand what you suggest. Do you meant it will allow me to generate output products for the old version of the IP in 2017.1? Or do you mean it will allow me to build the new version of the IP, even though my license doesn't cover it (and then I only get an eval version)?

you can use IPs in the old version and import netlist in the latest version. You need to configure the core in the old version and add generated core in the latest version.

The other way you can use HW evaluation license which allow you to generate bitsstream but the core will work only few hours in hardware. You need to reconfigure FPGA again and so its time out license.

The best option is contact your local FAEs and upgrade your license but its cost some money
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
Observer

@syedz: I fear you are somewhat missing the point. I guess he is talking about production projects, we face similar annoyances. The problem is that the Vivado version "enforces" a set of IP core versions, without any evident reason.  And (independent of the license) the major problem is that upgrading IP is not always straight-forward, regression is a real issue with Xilinx IP. So we have an IP core or a toolchain feature, for which we need a newer version of Vivado and we have a dozens of other IP cores which are very well tested and proven. Switching Vivado forces us now to upgrade the working IP cores, taking the risk of regression for the rest of the project.

Explorer

niap wrote:

@syedz: I fear you are somewhat missing the point. I guess he is talking about production projects, we face similar annoyances. The problem is that the Vivado version "enforces" a set of IP core versions, without any evident reason.  And (independent of the license) the major problem is that upgrading IP is not always straight-forward, regression is a real issue with Xilinx IP. So we have an IP core or a toolchain feature, for which we need a newer version of Vivado and we have a dozens of other IP cores which are very well tested and proven. Switching Vivado forces us now to upgrade the working IP cores, taking the risk of regression for the rest of the project.

Absolutely this. It causes many issues with unlicensed IPs as you describe. It's just my example causes a specific annoyance.

It would be nice to be able to choose when to upgrade to the newest version of an IP. Forcing it means you have to do a load of regression testing as soon as you upgrade Vivado, otherwise you can build at all.